DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to compare the source code between different version of a FORM?

Question How to compare the source code between different versions of a FORM?

Hi, All:

I have a question about Oracle FORM 6i.

I have two versions of a Oracle Form, I need to compare them side by side to see the difference, is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by zxmgh; 12-03-2003 at 04:15 PM.

Side by side? Rename one of them so you can tell them apart. Open both fmb's in Form Builder. Compare away.

You could also do a diff on the fmt's, but given how large the files probably are, and having to decode the gibberish inside an fmt file, that is not very practical. All you would really know is that the files are different, meaning, the fmb's are different, meaning, the forms are different.

Hi, stecal:

I start comparing them by using the first way you mentioned here a couple days ago, but because there are huge amount of objects in this Form, compare these objects once at a time makes the work a mission impossible, not to mention compare the procedures within Program Units part, some of them are procedures of several thousand lines. Currently I have to copy and paste them to two different text files and use Microsoft SourceSafe to compare them.

As to the second way, please forgive my ignorance, what's the fmt? I only know there are fmb and fmx.

Ideally it will be great that there is a tool that can compare two forms, generate a difference list and highlight the difference between them.

Does anyone know the answer of this question? I did a lot of research but can't find a good solution to this?

Convert the fmb files to text formats and then use a free text comparison tool like examdiff to compare them. should save you some time.
    HTH
    -dharma

The only way I found till now is a software called FormsAPI Master (http://www.orcl-toolbox.com/fapimaster.asp), it has a feature called Forms compare which I suppose is what I need, but the question is the license for it is $625 per user, I can't affort it because I am private consultant...

Thanks, dharma! I will try that.

I also heard people talking about using Oracle9i Software Configuration Manager (SCM) to compare 9i Forms, does anyone use it before, does SCM work with 6i Forms? Is it a tedious job to configure SCM?