DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OCP - is it worth it?

OCP - is it worth it?

Thinking of taking OCP exams next year. Always been too busy and my employer has never been too keen on allowing us time 'to study' or pay for the exams.

So ... are they worth taking? What can having OCP after my job title do for me? What possible bonus is it for my employer?

Define "Worth it".

Will getting an OCP be financially rewarding? Don't go out an buy a new car on your prospects.

Will it be a rewarding experience that will verify your knowlege of Oracle, give you self confidence in your ability, and expose you to technology you might not use every day? Sure.

If you're employer won't pay the small price of the exams, they don't care if you are certified or not. Your career is your own personal business. Sometimes you have to take a risk and invest in that business to expand it.
    Jeff Hunter

Is it worth it? I took OCP DBA exams for 8,8i and 9i. It made no difference to my employer. It did make a difference to me. I got satisfaction from being able to pass all aspectes of the tests. It did not help with job placement. Last employer lost contract I was working on and laid everyone off. The OCP did not help in finding a job. I took a programing position instead of DBA to get work.

Gary

Will it be a rewarding experience that will verify your knowlege of Oracle, give you self confidence in your ability, and expose you to technology you might not use every day? Sure.
    Thats exactly what I wanted to hear! My job sometimes gets a bit narrow and I'm worried about becoming unskilled in certain areas of the Ora DBA spectrum.

I guess I can understand how that must feel.

I got my OCP with my last employer ,all at my own cost. They couldn't tell any difference from being or not being certified.

I was more than happy to do all my studies at his time. Sucker!

Anyways my current employer lays a lot of emphasis on certification and courses. (I'll be going for more advanced DWH courses next week).

It all differs form employer to employer. Certifcation will certainly help you but do it because you wanna learn. Ofcourse you feel rather bitter when in interviews they don't even ask your certification. What is really amazing is your personality is the main factor.

I'm currently working on doing a RHCE and at least one programming languange(I'm seeing lot of delphi5&7 development in our environment)which ever comes first.

I think the best way to keep your spectrum colorful is to take a bit of distance form it(by indulging in some other field) and then com back with more zest.

Anyways however futile the effort may seem, remember the one with experience and cert's may have more chance to make a break.

Cheers...
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---