DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN and the listener

Question RMAN and the listener

I have Oracle 9.2 on my machine at home. I created a test database and a RMAN catalog. I am able to do a backup using the controlfile with no problem. When I try to do a backup using the catalog I have problems with the listener. I think I am doing it wrong. Here are the steps:

SET ORACLE_SID=TESTDB
    rman target testdba/testdba
    **gives message that I am connected to TESTDB**
    rman> connect catalog rcatuser/rcatuser@rcat
    **gives message that I am connected to catalog***
    rman>shutdown immediate
    **shuts down **
    rman>startup mount
    **Here is where I get my error that ir cannot resolve service name**

It seems before I shutdown the database and do a lsnrctl status the TESTDB is in there. Once I shut down the database the listener stops looking for that database. If I stop and start the listener when the database is down it does not show up under lsnrctl status. I did not think that the listener was dependent on the database being up. I thought as long as it is in the listener.ora file I was set. Do I have my listener configured wrong or am I doing the wrong thing in RMAN?

Your catalog is in the same DB you are trying to backup?
    Jeff Hunter

No

The catalog is in a database called RCAT and the database that I am trying to backup is TESTDB.

Registering Automatically

I did some more research on Metalink and it seems like my databases are registering with the listener when they startup and unregistering when they shutdown. I think it has something to do with my init.ora parameter instance_name. It is explained in doc 69546.1. How would I stop this behaviour from happening. Can't I have my listener just use the listener.ora file???