DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on more instance or more users?

Recommendation on more instance or more users?

Hi,

I'm consolidating many production databases from multiple machines into one big Sun machine. Is it recommended to have 2 database users in one instance or create separate instance for different database users? Separate instance require more physical RAM. The load and DB access are considered low to average. Or what should be the best practice?

Thank you.

It depends on the design of your application.Are the two database work independent???Check with your application design.

Whatz the concurent users in each database.

Unless there are really compelling reasons to do otherwise, i would stick to a single database/instance.

Good compelling reasons might be ...
    * One app is OLTP, the other is decision support
    * the two apps aren't certified to run on the same oracle version.

By default I would assume that you can put them into a single database, and then look for any reasons why this would be a really bad idea, rather than the other way around
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Yes both database users are accessed by different application and they are independent from each other. I thought of saving resources by using 1 instance to create multiple users. Though I understood that the SGA needs to be re-rune. Each user will have less than 200 concurrent connections.

Originally posted by slimdave
    Good compelling reasons might be ...
    * One app is OLTP, the other is decision support
    Cant we have mixed kinda env set up which will suffice both requirements with ofcourse some trade off?
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Tom Kyte regularly advocates one instance per server. One example.

I kind of agree, however, there are certain circumstances that warrent seperate instances.

o If the applications might be seperated onto two distinct machines sometime in the future.
    o If the two applications might need different versions of oracle.
    o The security policy is different for each application (one grants ALL to public, one is done correctly).
    Jeff Hunter

If it is two separate applications then I would go for two instances, UNLESS there will be too much data redundancy. From a maintenance point of view the two applications will probably have different downtimes and overall scheduling maintenance will be more complicated. Not to mention if you need to bounce the instance for one application, the other will have to suffer and vice versa.

So a few questions would be…

Will there be an overwhelming amount of data redundancy?
    Do the apps have very different schedules?
    What is the capitol of Malaysia?

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Hi.

After being a devout one-instance-per-application DBA for years I've recently taken to shoving multiple application into a single instance where possible.

I now have 3 instances (DEV, TEST, PROD) on my 2 node RAC. Each instance holds schemas for all applications in their respective parts of the lifecycle. I've not been brave enough to consolidate the different parts of the lifecycle, but I'm now saving loads of disk space, reducing my memory and CPU usage and having very few administration issues. In addition adding the multitude of security patches is loads easier due to the reduction in instances.

I agree with SlimDave, use a single instance unless something happens to make you think different.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I wouldn't consolidate test,dev and prod at all -- i think you're right to keep those separate. You never know that you aren't going to have to change init parameters or version for dev, then test, then prod -- you don't want to do them all at once.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

You also have to keep in mind what is best for "The Business" ,not just for Oracle and or the DBA.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.