DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Table Partitioning

Table Partitioning

Hi All,

I have a table which might have upto a 100 million records in a year. It has a date column and I need to have 12 partitions for this table, one for each month.

These partitions need to be such that records having date of January should get inserted into the "JAN" partition irrespective of the year of the date.

For example: Records with 31-Jan-2001 and 01-Jan-2003 as dates should both get inserted into the JAN partition.
    Similarly for records belonging to Feb and the rest.

I am working on 9i and I want to avoid adding an extra column to the table corresponding to the month name or number.

Any pointers on this would be of great help.

Thanks in advance!

you can just partition by range on the date column and have a bit of code which truncates that partition just before it get's loaded into the first time

Re: Table Partitioning

Originally posted by nottynitin

These partitions need to be such that records having date of January should get inserted into the "JAN" partition irrespective of the year of the date.

For example: Records with 31-Jan-2001 and 01-Jan-2003 as dates should both get inserted into the JAN partition.
    This is the part that makes this a little more difficult than having one partition for each month/year.

I am thinking that the way to do this would be to have a seperate column with either the month name or month number and populate it with a trigger.
    Jeff Hunter

Is there any reason why you could/would not create a JAN2003 partition?

Which is your advantage of having only 1 JAN partition for all years?

From my point of view it seems that your idear of having one partition per month but not per month/year reduces considerably the advantages of partitioning.
    Last edited by mike9; 11-18-2003 at 01:31 PM.

I am curious what makes you partition by month?