DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2 standby databases on 1 server

2 standby databases on 1 server

Hi,

We have 2 databases running on different 4 Dell Poweredge CPU servers. Both of them are running on Windows 2000 advance servers and oracle 8.1.7.0.0 versions and patchsets.

We are planning to implement disaster recovery by using Oracle data guard (standby database) but to save costs of oracle licensing want to have a standby for both the databases on a single 2 CPU dell
    server.

Is this possible. I read somewhere that the hardware of the primary and the standby database needs to be the same. Is that true.

Please suggest as this will save us a lot of oracle licensing costs.

Thanks
    Ron
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

Hardware of the primary and the standby does not need to be the same, ie it doesn't matter if your primary runs on a 4-CPU machine and your standby on a 2-CPU.

I'm not quite sure what do you mean by "... to save costs on Oracle licensing we'll have two standby databases on one server ..." (at least that's how I'm understanding your post). I mean, it doesn't matter if both of your standby databases are running on a single 2-CPU machine or if you run each of them on two sepparate machines with 2-CPUs each - the licensing costs will be the same.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    Hardware of the primary and the standby does not need to be the same, ie it doesn't matter if your primary runs on a 4-CPU machine and your standby on a 2-CPU.

I'm not quite sure what do you mean by "... to save costs on Oracle licensing we'll have two standby databases on one server ..." (at least that's how I'm understanding your post). I mean, it doesn't matter if both of your standby databases are running on a single 2-CPU machine or if you run each of them on two sepparate machines with 2-CPUs each - the licensing costs will be the same.
    The licensing costs will not be same. Our licensing is based on per cpu and standby databases are licensed same as production. So in case I have my standby databases on 2 seperate two CPU machines i'll be paying double of what I would have paid if both the standby databases (instances) are on a single server with 2 CPU's.

-Ron
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

I stand corrected, you are right. You only have to pay licenses for 2 processors, no matter how many instances are installed on that server.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?