DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peoplesoft DBA

Peoplesoft DBA

Hi All

I was just wundering if somecould point out their exeperinces as a Peoplesoft DBA ..and how different it is from being a normal oracle DBA .Any forums on the net that would help me jump start into people soft DBA

regards
    Hrishy

Re: Peoplesoft DBA

Originally posted by hrishy
    Hi All

Any forums on the net that would help me jump start into people soft DBA

regards
    Hrishy
    tried Google ( u may get many links )
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Hi Abhay

Thanks for the pointer :-).I searched in google tit bits of information is scattered .BUt i was hoping maybe real Peoplesof DBA's would chip in their exeperiences.

regards
    Hrishy

yes PS is not very open with their material. They want you to pay for every last peice through their education division. Not like Oracle where you can download practically every for free

Here's a few random thoughts
    >not one pk constraint in the entire damn db
    >need to know WebLogic, Tuxedo, Jolt for PIA ( PeopleSoft Interner Architecture) which once someone shows you ain't that big of a deal.
    >4000 tables in the db and maybe only use 50
    >SQRW ( ancient messed up peiece of crap for creating reports ,data loads or other dml)
    >You may be certfied on PS but not Oracle, good luck being certified on both at the same time. PS certifies against Oracle patch levels ya see.
    > PS customer connect support site bites, the forums on their are not near what you find here or on metalink
    > Development tool is PeopleTools. You will pay for every customization you make next time you upgrade PeopleTools. See PeopleTools is a vanilla across db's so if you create a function based index be prepared for it to be whacked during an upgrade, so document everything. And yeah PeopleTools upgrades can very frequent.
    > Lastly keep on blaming the developers. It's nice that with PeopleSoft you can say, it must be your peoplecode. This always keeps me sane not matter the enironment.

good luck

steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Hi Steve

Thank you very much for the valuable inputs.Its strange that peoplesoft does not have PK's .I have heard of packaged applications not using FK :-)..I am planning to make a carrer shift towards Peoplesoft DBA.Perhaphs these shoud serve as pointers when i look into upgrades etc

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by hrishy
    I am planning to make a carrer shift towards Peoplesoft DBA.

regards
    Hrishy
    Enough with Oracle ?
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Remember that Oracle can buy PeopleSoft and kill all their products!
    Otherwise, good choice!
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Originally posted by BV1963
    Remember that Oracle can buy PeopleSoft and kill all their products!
    Otherwise, good choice!
    They could do, but i don't think they will. It'd be a huge publicity disaster and generate a lot of anti-Oracle sentiment in just the people/companies that they want to get close to.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

I had worked with PeopleSoft (HR and Payroll) last year.
    Some points I would like to clarify:
    1 No table has PK but unique Index is available on NOT NULL columns.
    2 Most of the delivered programs use single row processing. This may work for when the company has only less than 5000 employees, not for a huge company that has 40000 employees.
    3 Many SQR ( NOT SQL) programs will run for more than 10 hrs, or 20 hrs. Do not get afraid of it. What you have to do is: Rewrite the program. This is what I did.

In general it is a good software. I liked it. The developers who wrote the initial programs forget about Oracle capabilities, and hence produced sub-optimal codes. You need to have good developers and DBAs to run (or change) peoplesoft software, last but not the least, you must have enough $$,$$$,$$$ (Watch out the comma ).

Tamil
    Last edited by tamilselvan; 11-14-2003 at 01:21 PM.

Originally posted by tamilselvan
    I had worked with PeopleSoft (HR and Payroll) last year.
    Some points I would like to clarify:
    1 No table has PK but unique Index is available on NOT NULL columns.
    2 Most of the delivered programs use single row processing. This may work for when the company has only less than 5000 employees, not for a huge company that has 40000 employees.
    3 Many SQR ( NOT SQL) programs will run for more than 10 hrs, or 20 hrs. Do not get afraid of it. What you have to do is: Rewrite the program. This is what I did.

In general it is a good software. I liked it. The developers who wrote the initial programs forget about Oracle capabilities, and hence produced sub-optimal codes. You need to have good developers and DBAs to run (or change) peoplesoft software, last but not the least, you must have enough $$,$$$,$$$ (Watch out the comma ).

Tamil
    It works well for company with 5000, 50,000 and 100,000 employess.
    Watch the comma! Please do not generalize based on limited experience.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!