DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shared Pool

Shared Pool

Hi all,

I am using Oracle 9i and using RMAN to backup the database. I frequantly the following error( it does NOT fail all the time..which i find strange!):

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00601: fatal error in recovery manager

RMAN-03004: fatal error during execution of command

RMAN-10038: database session for channel t1 terminated unexpectedly

I did some investigating, and found out that shared pool size needed to be increased. The current size is set to 100M. Large pool is not being used. I understand it is better to use Large pool when using RMAN. Now is there a view where i can find how much of the shared pool is being used and to what it should be increased to?..Any other solutions to the problem would be most welcome.

Thanks
    Chucks_k

As of 9i (not sure if there in 9.0 but definately in 9.2) there are some memory advisories for the Shared Pool and Buffer caches. You can either get to them via OEM in the configuration section of a database (memory tab) - this gives a nice graphic tool where you can see the effects of changing your memory.
    I'm not too sure on the names of the underlying views if you havent got OEM, and I havent used it yet so I would suggest looking at the 9i tuning documentation