DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Compatibility Question

Compatibility Question

Folks:

can you copy dbfiles between HP Itanium Servers and HP UX 9000 severs or do I have to do Import/export?
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."

no you cant - different chipsets

Senior DBA asking such question? Junior IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by guru_heaven
    You could be an Oracle GOD, but remember, Managers always have the upperhand.
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    no you cant - different chipsets

You may copy file across servers as long as the two servers run the same OS versions or of the OS of same type and same oracle versions. The file organization is to my knowleged is software controlled rather than a hardware. When you write the data into a file, the storage at the backend is inode specific. So, as long as the OS are of same, then they should be able to translate the inode structure.

Say for example, you can copy the files from the sunfire 880 to sunfire 440. If you look in the hardware organization is different. But it is the OS that would have to support the copy process.

Quote Originally Posted by guru_heaven
    Pl. don't under estimate the postings. Remember you know what you know now is because someone had answered your question(s) in the past. If you know the answer pl. be glad to post your thoughts. If they were wrong some one will correct. If you don't know then just read them and ask questions if you have. This would be my short advice to you.

Thanx,
    Sam
    Last edited by sambavan; 12-14-2005 at 08:07 PM.
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

this sort of question is like, can I copy my windows datafiles to linux

in 10g you transport the tablespaces between different OS
    Last edited by pando; 12-15-2005 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sambavan
    You may copy file across servers as long as the two servers run the same OS versions or of the OS of same type and same oracle versions. The file organization is to my knowleged is software controlled rather than a hardware. When you write the data into a file, the storage at the backend is inode specific. So, as long as the OS are of same, then they should be able to translate the inode structure.

Say for example, you can copy the files from the sunfire 880 to sunfire 440. If you look in the hardware organization is different. But it is the OS that would have to support the copy process.

Thanx,
    Sam
    HPUX Itanium and HPUX RISC are very different OS's, you can just takes files between them