DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SYSDBA

Hi All

I am trying to grant a user admin sysdba rights. I use the command grant sysdba to admin and get theerror below
    ORA-01994: GRANT failed: cannot add users to public password file

I have checked my for the error code ORA-01994 and it says
    ORA-01994: GRANT failed: cannot add users to public password file
    Cause: A grant failed because a user could not be added to the password file. This is because the value of the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE initialization parameter is set to PUBLIC.

Action: To add a user to the password file, shutdown the database, change the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE initialization parameter to PRIVATE, and restart the database.

My question is how do I change the remote_login_passwordfile initialization parameter to PRIVATE

Thanks in advance

Change it in your init.ora file

I changed remote_login_passwordfile = shared in init.ora to remote_login_passwordfile = PRIVATE but no one could connect to the database. Once I changed it back to shared everyone could connect. Any ideas

Vinay

well leave it shared and create a password file with orapwd utility, by creating this file you can give sysdba to users which will be added to this password file. It's a DOS utility if you are in NT, UNIX executable if you are in UNIX, if you are using Oracle 8 then it's orapwd80 otherwise orapwd

change your remote_login_passwordfile=none restart the machine and then it should work.