DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: connecting from client to DB server

Hello,
    I am a student studying to become a junior DBA. I have been practising at home running oracle 8i enterprise edition(8.1.5) on NT. I have another computer(NT) that has been networked to the server that(running NT 8.1.5) to share files.

I want to use the second computer as a client to be able to connect to the sever so that I can access the database from the client machine as well. (i.e. use the client to connect to the DB server). I have no idea how to go about it.
    Can any one explain in specifics or detail how I can do that starting from the installation of the software on the client machne?

Thanks in advance

So you have a db running on one machine and want to install client on another machine. Install client on the second machine and upon completion of the client install, it'll start with the Net8 Easy Configuration, where you will select TCP/IP as the n/w protocol, enter db_name, leave port at 1521 and it'll test the connection to the db on the other machine using scott/tiger. Hope this helps.

So, do I need to install anything by clicking on net 8 config assistant, etc on the client machine or this will be done automatically during the installation of the software on the client machine after selecting db name, port number and TCP/IP

It's automatic. Upon install, it'll ask you what name you want for the db. It creates the db, then it proceeds to Net* Easy Config, where it'll prompt you to enter the info that I talked about earlier.

Thanks Halo.
    One more question. Assuming I want to connect to the database(PROD) on the DB server. How do I connect from client machine to the DB server as soon I turn on the client machine?
    Do I connect from client just like it's done on the DBserver to get into SQL*PLUS e.g. on the client:
    USERNAME
    PASSWORD
    HOST STRING

or there is something else need to do?