DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rollback segments online when startup

Rollback segments online when startup

Hi,
    I am using oracle 8.1.7. I have rollback segments in my database and are online but they are not listed in initdbname.ora or config file. Basically when the rollback segments are not listed in init.ora file, when the database is shutdown and starts up the rollback segments should be offline, but in my case the roll back segments are online.
    How is this possible? Is there any other file which has rollback segments listed.
    Thanks

Are you sure the INITxxx.ora is actually the one that is getting
    used at startup ... Check your registry ....

Gregg

my oracle is on solaris 8. I do start up my database using pfile= .

because you created them as public ones I would imagine

This is what I am assuming happened.

You created a database using the dbca. It created the init.ora for you. In which case the rollback segments were entered into the init.ora. At one point you or someone needed to create more rollback segments so you logged into OEM and created them. After they were created someone forgot to let the init.ora know they exist. Since the rollback segments were created as public (OEM default) they are always available.

How am I doing so far?
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

I recently took over the database from other person. I dont know how he created the rollback segments, but the owner of roll backs are public. Thank you all for the valuable information.
    Are they any problem if I do not include rollback segs in initfile? Do I need to change the Owner from public to a different owner, so that I can include in initfile.
    Any suggestions are heartly appreciated.

with public rollback segments you have no need to list them in the init.ora file at all. The public ones are perfectly valid to use by everyone without listing them

I think if you really want to have private ones then you will need to drop the current ones and re-create them as private ones.

Tbe bloke who created them probably did create public rollback segment ... instead of create rollback segment