DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: set env on Linux

Hybrid View

set env on Linux

Sorry, I am new with Oracle runnign on Linux. and I have questions about running more than one instance on the Linux machine.

right now, when I do:

[oracle@test oracle]$ echo $ORACLE_SID
    mp01

my question is what do I need to do to change this environment to different environment so I can create the new database.

thanks

[oracle@test oracle]$ ORACLE_SID= newsid
    [oracle@test oracle]$ export ORACLE_SID

[oracle@test oracle]$ echo $ORACLE_SID
    newsid

Also, just as a word of advice. If you plan on creating more than one oracle database on that box I would advise on creating different userids instead of just oracle. That way you'll be able to tell right off the bat who's doing what on that box instead of seeing a bunch of processes with the oracle userid.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Great thanks.

I am new with Linux so I am a little hesitate doing from what your advise even it makes a whole lot of sense.

So let say if I am about to create a new instance. I created a new user and join him into the dba, oinstall group??? so that way the old user which is oracle should have the full right when I log in as oracle, vice versus????

thanks so much for great advise.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of having the Oracle software owned by different Unix users because you run into a lot of permissions issues.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of having the Oracle software owned by different Unix users because you run into a lot of permissions issues.
    It really depends on your use. If you're going to have multipule databases on one server and you have the room to create individual O-homes, then having unique id's is the way to go. However, if you're going to have mulitpule databases sharing the same home as long as you make sure the group id has the same permissions, there are no problems as well. I've had successful results for years now.
    --------------

Like I said, it's not my preference.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by learning_bee
    So let say if I am about to create a new instance. I created a new user and join him into the dba, oinstall group??? so that way the old user which is oracle should have the full right when I log in as oracle, vice versus????
    How you do the install and which userid's you use are a matter of preference. Personally, if I am going to install one database that is going to have it's own home and not share with anyone, then I'll simply create the oracle home and database using his id that way that particular id will have it's own "little world" on the server.
    --------------