sessions & processes relation
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: sessions & processes relation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    136

    Exclamation sessions & processes relation

    Oracle 8.1.6 on windows NT server

    I have a situation where my processes are not getting cleared after the parent session is closed - hence reaching max process limit every other day. These sessions belong to either oracle background or siebel application system user and not routine created oracle users.

    All the open sessions has their maching process in v$process
    (select count(*) FROM V$SESSION S, V$PROCESS P WHERE S.PADDR = P.ADDR)
    =
    (Select count (*) from V$session)

    Q : Is it safe to orakill all the processes (spid in v$process) whose addr doesn't match with paddr in v$session.

    All the orphan processes in V$process are non background processes.

    Attached are the query results of V$session & V$process.

    Attached is another related udump trace file giving me details of
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [12333], [7], [5], [49], [], [], [], []
    Current SQL information unavailable - no session.

    Please help me sugesting the solution/workaround.
    Thanks
    -D
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,204
    Dude, you've got a real bad problem.

    First, I'd check the code. I seriously doubt this is an Oracle kernel problem.

    Second, 8.1.6 on NT? Dang.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,333
    as a temporary work around you could set a job which kills alls processes / sessions which have been inactive for a period of time or set profiles and give a time limit before they are diconnected.

    But your best bet is to look into your application and fix the real problem

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,187
    ora 600 [12333] is a sign of network problems, open up a tar just for sh*ts and giggles though

    steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bangalore ( India )
    Posts
    2,434
    Restart The Server !!
    (PS Jeff will seeing this thread from far and laughing !!)
    Last edited by abhaysk; 10-22-2003 at 07:08 AM.
    funky...

    "I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

    "Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    136
    Originally posted by davey23uk
    as a temporary work around you could set a job which kills alls processes / sessions which have been inactive for a period of time or set profiles and give a time limit before they are diconnected.

    But your best bet is to look into your application and fix the real problem
    No body answered my question yet. Sessions are being closed but not the related process. I generally have 30-40 sessions and processes range from 32 to maxlimit (800)

    Originally posted by daljitsb
    All the open sessions has their maching process in v$process
    (select count(*) FROM V$SESSION S, V$PROCESS P WHERE S.PADDR = P.ADDR)
    =
    (Select count (*) from V$session)

    Q : Is it safe to orakill all the processes (spid in v$process) whose addr doesn't match with paddr in v$session.

    All the orphan processes in V$process are non background processes.

    Attached are the query results of V$session & V$process.
    I have restarted the server to gain nothing. I do not have access to the siebel code to fix it in the code. Attached file has sessions, processes and ora600 details.

    -D
    Attached Files Attached Files

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    greenwich.ct.us
    Posts
    9,092
    Originally posted by abhaysk
    Restart The Server !!
    (PS Jeff will seeing this thread from far and laughing !!)
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,204
    Oracle on Windows NT and 2000 runs as a service that is implemented as a single multi-threaded process. There is a thread running for each background and user process (session).

    Yea, go ahead and "orakill.exe sid thread" all non-background processes. That'll have the effect of killing all user sessions. How about a startup force?

    My suggestions ..

    Fix the source of the problem .. code. Then think seriously about migrating to Linux. Granted, it is a bit geeky, but it's less expensive and much more reliable for Oracle (IMHO).
    Last edited by KenEwald; 10-22-2003 at 03:59 PM.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,204
    You could schedule an "at" job for the user session dump.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    136
    Originally posted by KenEwald

    Yea, go ahead and "orakill.exe sid thread" all non-background processes. That'll have the effect of killing all user sessions. How about a startup force?
    Problem are not sessions not clearing - they are claring fine. But proceeses started by cleared session is still running making it orphan. Thats what giving me ora600 error also
    =====from trace file===
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [12333], [7], [5], [49], [], [], [], []
    Current SQL information unavailable - no session.
    ====

    My question is - Is it safe to kill all the orphan processes (not linked to any session in v$session) using orakill.exe as batch process for workaround solution.

    -Daljit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width