DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to update ORACLE_HOME to use a softlink instead of a real direcoty?

how to update ORACLE_HOME to use a softlink instead of a real direcoty?

I want to move the ORACLE_HOME to a soft link so that I don't have to change the application configuration next time when there is anothe upgrade to the database (only change the softlink).

It seems the database is working fine, but the sqlplus command is giving the following errors. Did anyone know how to solve this problem?

Another question, will this affect the remote connections?

Thanks,

===================================
    SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.3.0 - Production on Fri Oct 17 09:34:56 2003

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: charles
    Enter password:
    ERROR:
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
    SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

You need to specify the SID. That is what that error is about.

Originally posted by stecal
    You need to specify the SID. That is what that error is about.
    I have SID and everything else in place. I only want to update the ORACLE_HOME to pointing to a link instead of a real directory. It seems everything else is working except for sqlplus from command line. I can even login to SQL Worksheet under the interface of "oemapp console"

I am suspecting that some of the resouces were linked to the real directory when installing oracle. Is there a way to change ORACLE_HOME after installation?

Another question, is it possible to install Oracle9i on a soft link instead of a real directory?

You can link Oracle to the moon for all it cares. What you cannot do is connect to a database if your SID is not set in the shell window you are trying to use SQL*Plus in. In your shell window, if ORACLE_SID is not set, then you must use username/password@SID. If you SID is set, and you are on the server, you can do username/password.

Think about the link thing for a minute. Where is Java on your machine? /usr/java? Where does /usr/java "point to?" /usr/java1.2? So if your ORACLE_HOME is set to /here/is/oracle, and /here/is/oracle is linked to /opt1/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1, what do you think it matters how the OS resolves the actual location?

Again, your error is simply related to you not having your environment properly set.

Originally posted by mycguo
    Another question, is it possible to install Oracle9i on a soft link instead of a real directory?
    I dont recommend it, I had dodgy problems with 8i in Linux using softlink pointing $ORACLE_HOME

Originally posted by pando
    I dont recommend it, I had dodgy problems with 8i in Linux using softlink pointing $ORACLE_HOME
    Can you specify what is the problem? How about 9i? Does this apply to 9i as well?

Thanks

The key to using a soft link for your Oracle software is to create the soft link BEFORE you install the software. For example, if you have a directory /export/home/software/oracle/817 and you want it to show as /usr/local/oracle, you need to ln -s /export/home/software/oracle/817 /usr/local/oracle and THEN install with /usr/local/oracle as your $OH.

Otherwise, you can relink all your software using a new $OH and the "relink all" command.
    Jeff Hunter

Also, If I'm not mistaken... Oracle will not support you if you're running links.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Originally posted by mycguo
    Can you specify what is the problem? How about 9i? Does this apply to 9i as well?

Thanks
    forgot, that was almos 2 years ago, never went back to give another try