DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Database from Dg Unix to HP Ux

Moving Database from Dg Unix to HP Ux

Hi,

My current database is on an Alpha Server. (Digital Unix).

I need to move it to an HP-Ux server. The Oracle Versions remain the same which is 8.1.6

Can someone tell me how to relocate the databases the OS being different. Do we need to recreate/migrate the database or can we simply copy the datafiles and recreate the controlfile.

One thing for sure we cannot do an Export/Import because it is a production database whose size stands to around 300GB.

Thanks
    Suvashish

well since it is a different OS you cant just take the files and copy them over or it wont work.

ok.could you suggest then what would be the best way to carry out movement of the database then.Any idea .
    Suvashish

different platform, export-import

Hi Pando,

Is export / import the only viable alternative. Can't the data be moved by any other means. Why i am saying this is because the database is around 300 gigs, as result of which the exp/imp will take ages and this being a oltp production database there'll be constant changes happening, in that case there's going to be inconsistencies. isn't it.
    Suvashish

hmm you must be joking? you pretend migrate platform and not stopping the database...?

if you want go faster use db link or copy

No, actually the idea is to shutdown the database for 3 hours and get over with the job withing that time. Hence i don't think it would be possible to be over with the exp/imp in 3 hours. Yes i could use Copy or DBlink mode by putting the database in Read-Only Mode. That would be the only feasible state in this case.

Thanks for the info Pando.
    Suvashish

well even with db link I doubt it very much you can migrate 300gb in 3 hours

In that case what do you think should be the best approach method. any suggestion ? we cannot afford more that 3 hours downtime.
    Suvashish

Originally posted by dsuva
    In that case what do you think should be the best approach method. any suggestion ? we cannot afford more that 3 hours downtime.
    Set up DB on ur HP UX as the one one on our ** Digital Unix **

COPY the data using COPY command & and you can do simulateously in N sessions..when data is copied switch over the DBs and change tns entries in Global Tns path..will that require 3 hour dowtime?

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"