what OS? if windows or linux have you considered Oracle Clustered file system? Are you implementing rac/ops?
A little bit of learning curve with raw devices, also consider the following
> You better have your storage planning/forecasting nailed. No resizing of a raw device like a cooked file system datafile. I know in windows on rac and ops if you need to add a raw device on the fly
you have to reboot all nodes of the cluster for the raw device to be seen
> You can't backup directly to tape with raw devices unless you use rman or export. If you are strictly copying datafiles as part of B&R you need to copy from raw to formatted file system and then to disk.
I would suggest RMAN.
Do you have any doc. how to create and manage the Raw Devices on Unix. I tryed to implement the Raw devices but i could able to achive it. i would be appreciate, if you can send me any document on it.
I really appreciate all of yours suggestions and feedback.
For you information I will be using Solaris 5.8. I will simply create a database. I won't use RAC or OPS. Raw device will be created by the vendor. I just want to know the followings from oracle database operation perpective.
1. I have a Server. Where Oracle is already installed and 2 instances are already in game on Unix File system. I would like to create raw devices (will be done by vendor) on few new disks and will create a new database instance on that.
Is that possible? I mean on an existing database, on unix file system, can I create another instance on Raw device?
2. Once the divoce will be ready, I would like to create a database running oracle 9i database creation script. ( create database ...)
Question: Is there any change required for those scripts?
3. I have to create few Locally managed tablespace on that new instance.
Question: Any changes to create those tablespaces?
4. I will take few exports for unix file system database and import the same to Raw device instance.
Question: Any issue on that?
5. I might add few more disks later.
Question: Any issue to add few more raw devices in future when database in oroduction.