DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Development database

Refreshing Development database

I need to refresh our development database (8.1.7.4) with production data. The database is about 500 Gb in size. So I don't want to do export, import, etc. RMAN is not yet in use. So no refresh from RMAN backup.

I have a standby of the prodcution database on the same server as the development database.

Here is what I am planning to do.

1. Shutdown the standby database.
    2. Delete the datafiles on the development database.
    3. Copy the .dbf files from the standby database to development database.
    4. Copy the $APPL_TOP from standby to development.

There has got to be more than this. Am I missing anything here? Thanks.

I don't know how to do this for sure...BUT
    my only suggestion is to zip and save the old datafiles rather than delete them. This way if things go boom, you can go back to where you were.
    Backups R gud!!

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

How does your prod database get backed up ?
    If you do hot backups on it, why cann't you use that for restoring to dev environment and recover ?
    svk

Refreshing the Development Database

In relation to the question I have another question. If the standby database and development servers are in different UNIX boxes will the following solution work?

1. Shutdown the standby database.
    2. Shutdown the Development database.
    3. Copy the control files, datafiles, redolog files, parameter files from the standby database to the development database, with the same directory structure.

Open the development database pointing to the parameter file of the new copied parameter file.

Will this replicate the development database with that of my standby database? I think it should exactly replicate right?

Would appreciate if any one can clear this doubt. With the theoretical knowledge of Architecture and Administration of Oracle database I got to this solution.
    Raghavendra

What you meantioned is exactly what we did at my last client.

Shut down the standby copy all realtive files to where ever. Then crank up the copy using the controlfile from trace. Of course you have to make sure you reset all your port#s, app server locations, bla bla. but it will work.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

I have trouble right at the beginning. I had shutdown the standby. Then I started deleting the data files from the development database. By mistake I deleted several redo and temp datafiles from the STANDBY!!

Can I restore the data files from the cold backup of the standby?

Repeat after me...

Backups R gud..
    Backups R my friend..
    Measure twice, cut once.
    An ounce of prevention.....you get the idea.

I would think you would be able to restore temp and redo, not sure, anyone?

MH
    Last edited by Mr.Hanky; 10-15-2003 at 03:12 PM.

Backups are my best friend. I love them.

Anyways, I asked my SA to restore the datafiles. I will bring up the standby and see if it is in a consistent state. I think it will be. If not, you can help me find a new job considereing I am a NJ resident too. Thanks.

I talked to my senior and he said if there were no active transactions you should be ok. The temp should be fine but the redo is in question.

I already filled the position of database destroyer in my company, sorry. If I wasn't so good I'd tell you to send me your resume.

MH

The standby was shutdown. All it does is accept archivelogs shipped over from production every 15 minutes and those logs are applied. May be redo will come in there?! Would applying some older archivelogs (those that came over from production since the standby came up this weekend after cold backup) take care of that? Once restore is complete, I am planning to mount the standby and try applying a couple of logs to see if it gives me any errors. I sure hope not.