DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-12560 again!

DBA's,

I am running 8.1.5 on NT. I had two databases (test). I wanted to delete them and create a new database.

After delete, when I invoke SVRMGRL, it comes up with the dreaded 12560 error.

1. I set my Oracle_sid=prod at the dos prompt.
    2. My registry entry is the same.

My tnsnames and listener have an entry for prod.

All I want to do is nomount the instanace and create a new database.

Thanks for your help.

Nizar

I had the exact similar problem. I found no solution. Since I was working on a development server, I decided to create a fresh instance, while ignoring the one already there. By the way I did an upgrade from 8.1.5 to 8.1.6. The old instance was 8.1.5 and trying to connect using svrmgrl failed with this error. All I was trying to do is to upgrade this 8.1.5. instance to 8.1.6. The newly created instance has no such problems.

My guess would be that you have no Oracle services defined for the prod database. Sounds like the nt service was deleted and you need to create a new service using oradim80.

Good luck

magskn,

I know I do not have any instances. All I want to do is connect as internal and create a new instance using oradim. But when i start svrmgrl, i get the TNS error.

ECG,

Since I do not have any instances at all, how can I solve this?

Thanks,
    Nizar

You must establish an oracle service prior to using svrmgr to connect internal on nt. The oracle service is not the database but it must be running in order to startup the database. To do this set you oracle sid and issue the following
    oradim80 -new -sid <sidname> -intpwd <password> -startmode auto -pfile <pathname\filename>

At this point you should be able to connect internal and start up the instance in the nomount mode and then create the database however you wish to.

Hope this helps.

I have never used oradim before but if all you are trying to do is create a new instance, then it is so much easier to use the Database Configuration Assistant.