DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to close "Reports Background Engine" automatically

Question How to close "Reports Background Engine" automatically

Dear Sir,
    I wanna close "Report Background Engine" automatically after closing the report.
    I tried to add the following parameter to close it in the caller form, but it didn't work:
    add_parameter(p1, 'oracle_shutdown', TEXT_PARAMETER, 'Yes') ;

Waitting for Help!

Okay then. Why don't you cowboy up to the task and answer it yourself? You are most welcome to look up the problem/answer on your own and post the solution. Not only do you learn something new, so do others. From what I've seen using reports on Windows, the engine stays there until you go manually cancel it (right-click, close). I don't care enough about the problem because it does not seem to affect anything. It seems like a "so what?" kind of problem, just another quirky thing about reports. Do you know something different about it?

Well?

Perform the following actions to stop the RBE when closing the Forms application:
    1) Create a dummy report which only does e.g. a SELECT * FROM DUAL

This report has a DESTYPE=FILE and a DESNAME to e.g. C:\TEMP\DUMMY.OUT

2) In the POST-FORMS trigger add the following code:
    DECLARE
    pl_id paramlist; BEGIN pl_id := Create_Parameter_List('dummy'); Add_Parameter(pl_id,'ORACLE_SHUTDOWN',TEXT_PARAMETER,'Yes'); Add_Parameter(pl_id,'PARAMFORM',TEXT_PARAMETER,'NO'); Run_product(REPORTS,'<>',SYNCHRONOUS, RUNTIME, FILESYSTEM,pl_id,NULL); END;

Explanation
    -----------
    The Report Background Engine runs separatly from the Forms application and there is no direct relation between these processes. The Forms should signal the RBE that is being closed. When the Form is closed the POST-FORM triggers sends a dummy report to the RBE. Since the ORACLE_SHUTDOWN=Yes parameter is used after running the report the RBE is terminated. A small side-effect of the solution is that a small file (5Kb) is created on the file-system contaning the output of the dummy report.

Lightbulb Margins are the problem.

Sir, I want to close the report background engine each time the report closed. Because if the report which called first time was in Portrait mode, and the second report was in Landscape mode, the margins still in portrait mode. So the report seems like it cut. But I noticed that if I closed the RBE after each report, the margins still well.
    Next time I forced to use "HOST" command to call the report to avoid the margins problem.