DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oracle hype for new features

Oracle hype for new features

Folks,

I come to conculosions that all these new and fancy Oracle features is basically dangerous to use in business. Most of the times they are problematic and buggy and then Oracle starts to release one patch after another until they resovle it.. But at the time they resolve it with these so-called patches, technically you already screwed yourself and either you get fired or get very bad reputation in the company you worked for. Am I right or wrong?
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Can you give a specific example? I am finding dbms_profiler dificult and confusing. But I would not agree with your statement about the new features.

Most of the times they are problematic and buggy and then Oracle starts to release one patch after another until they resovle it..

You have a test environment, right? Sure we find a lot of issues running new "features" in test, but by the time we are ready for production we manage to get most of them fixed or know the work-arounds.
    Jeff Hunter

logminer has problem. Replication /snapshot is buggy in 8i 8.1.7.0 they say sorry please upgrade to 8.1.7.4. It's happens all the time and once you upgrade usually some other problem wake up. One time I upgrade our 8.0.6.0 db then the OEM internal accounce didn't work anymore. Comments?

gandolf989... I have a development tool called PL/SQL Developer that makes the use of Profiler point-and-click and I absolutely adore Profiler - it has revealed bottle necks in my procs 1000 times. Perhaps if I did not have this tool to do the work, I'd I might experience your troubles. But I can run a proc or package and sort the output graphically by sql statement, total time per statement, total # of execution occurrences and then work on the troubling statements.

I've been using Oracle since v 7 and happen to really like 9i - ie. local extent management (was this in 8i?), a better logminer and definitely Oracle administering Rollback, temp segments and RMAN is much, much better. The advanced Repl interface is much better and I hear that Dataguard is much better too. Am i forgetting anything?

patches after initial releases has always been the trend with almost all softeware

partly agree

Oracle release very buggy software nowdays, there were a feature I forgot which, which according to Oracle it was superb but see what happened, it was supposed in 9i, i.e 9.0.1.0 however it was never true and they then rectified saying it would only work in 9.0.2.

Oracle has many features indeed but everyone here ask tehmselves, how many of them you use in production and Oracle claims in Oracle 9i they released over 200 new features?

I have seen standby database working in like two shops only and because those were small shops, in big shops people rather use Cluster software like Veritas than using Oracle's standby database which is cumbersome and buggy. Ok you might say in 9i is not longer true but then we are going to ask, so Oracle needs to release *BETA* version (Oracle 8 and 8i) in order to get a proper working software? And make the customers the *BETA* testers?

What I am trying to say is when you use this fancy new featurs be prepared for lots of hassle and unexpected errors. They are not straight forward. Do you think data guard or fail over server is easy to use? Or replication in parallel server? They are not solid.

Originally posted by farrokhp
    Do you think data guard or fail over server is easy to use?
    Yes, I do. I've had no major problems with it. However my nephew (3 years old) would probably have problems using it. See my point? It depends on who and how is using it.

Everything is relative. Would you say Oracle database is generally "easy to use"? I don't think so (and I belive this is commonly accepted), yet Oracle is still used quite widely. Not everybody has switched to SQL Server yet, although it has the reputation of being "easier to manage than Oracle".

I would say your conclusion that "all these new and fancy Oracle features is basically dangerous to use in business" is bunch of crap. Or can you be more specific? Which fancy features? What problems do you have with them? I've tested and using many of them without any major problems.

It is my impression (particulary based on the problems expressed here in this forums) that most of the problems people have with using various Oracle features are not caused by software bugs, but because of the lack of understanding how things work and particulary because of the ignorance to read the manuals before using those features.

And BTW guru_haeven, Oracle *does* release BETA versions and some customers and partners indeed *are* their BETA testers.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

I can see your point to a certain degree. But I find the edge exciting, in a test environment!

Please don't tell me you lost your job because you put a new feature in production before thoroughly testing it in a test env. That's not Oracle's fault.

New features are fun to figure out. And, yup, sometimes they don't quite measure up to the hipe.

But then again that's probably why Oracle support is more expensive than upgrades.

Have a nice upgrade!
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Hey jmodic, I don't know what background do you have but try to have ethic and be polite if you want to talk, obviously you have bad attitude.

I agree that after digging in manuals and lots of tests, try and error they finally works to some degree, but my main point is as one said before major shops ususally don't see it as the way to go. They prefer to pay big bucks to veritas rather than deal with cumbersome fail over oracle offers. I knew that in Canda only 2 or 3 major shops use practically parallel servers. Goverment of BC tried to use it a while ago, hit lots of problems and lack of expertise then they switch back to EE servers. If you have a mission critical production db is better play safe as much as you can. Even if you test, you can't still %100 sure. Can you? So Mr. genius jmodic
    this is again bunch of crap... Haaa?