DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replication from Oracle 8.1.7 to MS SQL Server 2000 without Transparent Gateways

Replication from Oracle 8.1.7 to MS SQL Server 2000 without Transparent Gateways

I am working in a Oracle 8.1.7 and Microsoft enviornment. The complete data is stored in the Oracle DB and a link server is used to view data through Ms SQL Server. We now want to replicate certain Oracle DB data to Ms SQL Server. I am aware that there is a Transparent Gateway that can be purchased and used in the enviornment to replicate the data from Oracle to Ms SQL Server. However my compnay does not want to invest in anything new(ANYONE KNOW THE COST). They will be purchasing Oracle 9i in the future. There seems to be another solution to this problem involving creating Database Links and a SELECT INTO statement in MS SQL Server(SELECT * INTO EMP FROM ORACLE8I..SCOTT.EMP GO). Can anyone give a step by step process that needs to be done to put this solution into place. Is there any other solution to this data sharing/replication between two different vendor databases.

No Investment No Technology.

Create flat file from the table, ftp to SQLServer box, then insert into table (SQLServer).

Tamil