DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrate/upgrade to 9i from 8i using export/import

Migrate/upgrade to 9i from 8i using export/import

Hello all,
    I'm trying to upgrade my database from 8i (8.1.7) to the 9i (9.2) and I'm wondering if I use export/import method do I have to pre-create all the users in my 9i database first before I do my import. I have about 200 users in my 8i db so I prefer not to pre-create the users if I don't have too. Would import FULL=Y do the trick?? Please help, Thank you in advance.

yes, precreate tablespaces before the import

Originally posted by candyman
    yes, precreate tablespaces before the import
    The question was about precreating users, not tablespaces...

To answer the original question: No, there is no need to precreate users before importing if the export was performed with FULL=Y. Imp with FULL=Y will take care of creating users and other stuff....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Jmodic,

please correct me if I am wrong. Don't you have to precreate the tablespaces first before the import??? I don't think you can do a full import without tablespaces

That wasn't the question - need to create tablespace(s) first. Question was about the need to pre-create the users - that's what jmodic was telling you.

Originally posted by candyman
    please correct me if I am wrong. Don't you have to precreate the tablespaces first before the import??? I don't think you can do a full import without tablespaces
    All you need is a SYSTEM tablespace (which you allways have if you have a database). Nothing else, no other tablespaces are neccessary for the import with FULL=Y to succeed. And it will create all other tablespaces for you too. Of course for this to succeed the directory structure for the database files in the new system must be existing and the same as it was in the exported system.
    Jurij Modic

Originally posted by jmodic
    All you need is a SYSTEM tablespace (which you allways have if you have a database). Nothing else, no other tablespaces are neccessary for the import with FULL=Y to succeed. And it will create all other tablespaces for you too. Of course for this to succeed the directory structure for the database files in the new system must be existing and the same as it was in the exported system.
    Hello, first, thanks for your help, so if my 9i DB has all the preconfigured tablespaces like TEMP,USERS, TOOL..etc do I need to drop them first since during the import full=y process, Oracle will try to create these tablespaces. Please advise. Thanks again

No need to drop the default tablespaces. Just import with ignore=y option.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Originally posted by adewri
    No need to drop the default tablespaces. Just import with ignore=y option.
    IGNORE=Y has nothing to do with overwriting datafiles during the import.

Newbie, you don't have to drop your tablespaces before the import, just import with option DESTROY=N, which btw is also the default value for this parameter. DESTROY tells whether imp should overwrite the existing database datafiles (in other words, if it will recreate the existing tablespaces with the same names) during the import with FULL=Y.
    Jurij Modic

Originally posted by jmodic
    IGNORE=Y has nothing to do with overwriting datafiles during the import.
    Well, i never said it has to do anything with creation of data files. My first part was, no need to drop the tablespace, second part ignore=y option was so that import does not throw errors when trying to create sys objects already existing. May be i was not clear.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!