DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Multiple oracle home on same machine

Multiple oracle home on same machine

hi!
    can two diffrent version of databases (8i,9i) reside on same linux box ?
    can two diffrent users can access two databases simultaneously ?
    Will you please guide me how it can be done. what are the precaution i need to follow for installation.

thanks
    kumud

can two diffrent version of databases (8i,9i) reside on same linux box ?
    Yes you can have 2 different versions of Oracle (81,9i) loaded on the same Linux box. You will need to have 2 ORACLE_HOMES and load each version of Oracle under their own ORACLE_HOME

can two diffrent users can access two databases simultaneously ?
    I am not clear as to what are you trying to ask here?????

Will you please guide me how it can be done. what are the precaution i need to follow for installation.

Let me know your second query more clearly and I might be able to guide you.
    I hope the rest helps you.

-Chintz

thanks
    i.e user1 can connect to 8i and user2 can connect to 9i concurrently.
    i.e. both homes can be active at the same time.

Also while installation do i need to create different user login (oracle) (linux) for 2 diffrent ORACLE HOME.
    will i have to create 2 different listener.ora with diffrent port number for different ORACLE_HOME

if you know any documentation will you please give me a link
    i am not able to see otn.

Where are You, Kumud?

Tamilselvan

Yes you can have both the ORACLE_HOMES and the databases running off them active at the sametime. The 2 users can be connected simultaneously to the 2 ORACLE_HOMES at the sametime too.

While installation you do not need to have to ORALCE logins for the the 2 ORACLE_HOMES, but yes you will have separate listener.ora files, etc 'cause it will monitor the connections to that particular environment.

I am sure you can find some documentation on multiple ORACLE_HOMES on metalink.

Hope this answers your questions.

Chintz

hey
    I am in california san jose check your mail

There are few things that I would like to clear.

1. Installing Different oracle versions.

Yes you can install two different oracle versions under a same oracle user name. But you might want to keep a note of few other things that you will want to take care of.

When you install the oracle under the Unix system, oracle will create a file with oraInst.loc. This is the file that contain the link information to the real Installer repository. You first would want to rename the file before you start installing. This way you can have the two different repositories with their corresponding installer information.

Secondly, when you set your environment, make sure the ORACLE_BASE is the same as ORACLE_HOME. normally, you point to the .../product/version. So when the installer installs, the installer repository gets created under the corresponding oracle version. Otherwise you might end up jaming the one repository over the other and will endup with problems when you need to do a patch installs and etc.

Thirdly, I would use the listener of the higher version to listen on the system, instead of using two different listeners (too much of hassel to maintain) One other thing here is you cannot run the default listener for two different versions.

If you want to do that then you would want to have the oracle installed under two different oracle users and try running the defaut listers oriented to each versions. But you would want to take care of the file renaming on this case too.

On coming to answer your question to the connectivity, yes you can service different sets of oracle users. Also, user A can have an account on Instance one, and two. The information that he might hold on two different instances will be different, unless it was clustered. If you want give cross access to instances, then you will have to create DB links.

Hope these might help you to clear your questions.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Kumud,

There is no database vendor who provides better documentation than oracle nd it's all for free!

9iR2 Documentation, For instance
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---