DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: client server environment using 9iDS

Hybrid View

client server environment using 9iDS

dear friends,
    Want to know if it is possible to have client server environment using 9iDS.. Or is it complusory to have 9iAS as well.. I am aware that 9iDS is developement environment and 9iAS is deployment environment. But can I access forms n reports as a client server application using only 9iDS or does it cimpulsorily have to be a browser based application???
    Regards..
    Abhi

See, that's the irritating thing about Oracle. You can use iDS just like iAS with respect to forms. iDS looks like iAS, acts like iAS, smells like iAS, but isn't iAS, and therefore, doesn't have the cost of iAS (US 5000 versus 10000). So yes, you can use iDS in a client server architecture, but that goes against the licensing terms. I've been up and down Oracle Corp about the forms issue - why did they have to "fix" forms when it wasn't broken. The cost of having to license iAS is outrageous when all you want out of it is forms services. If you are using forms services in an application/production setting, you need to license iAS. You can get iAS for about half price if you complain about the price. Oracle also said there would be a release (due out last August/Sept) of iAS that would be geared just for forms, but that has been delayed.