DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: On data replictaion

On data replictaion

I want to separate the database for development and testing, but how to solve the data replication problem, all changes in development database must be synchoronized to testing database, and vice versa. In testing database, only DML commands are allowed. I tried dataguard, but dataguard only allow one main database for update and standby for read only.

Thanks.

What version are you running? If you are pre 9.2 (and even on 9.2) look at Advanced Replication for data. If you wanted DDL changes to be replicated they would have to be handled with care using the replication API. You could shutdown replication, distribute the changes to both nodes, and then regenerate support for the changed and restart replication.

On 9.2 you might take a look at Streams. I don't have much real life experience with Streams yet but it looks very attractive and flexible. You could configure it exactly how you want it to work.

Both of these solutions will take a bit of learning to use them efficiently, there should be some notes and basic setup examples on Metalink.