DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Where is runInstaller located in ORACLE_HOME?

Where is runInstaller located in ORACLE_HOME?

In order to apply Patch 4 on 8.1.7.0 I want to run runInstaller from the Oracle software binaries on the disk rather than from the CD (mainly because for many such odd-hours installs I don't have to be in the server room to change CDs if need comes)

I can't find runInstaller as suggested by Oracle's Patch document on Metalink --
    ==================
    Start the installer:
    If the Installer was installed during the installation of the base 8.1.7.0.0 release, then run the installer from within the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.

==================
    Just to make sure, I ran the runInstaller from the CD and "reinstalled" the "Oracle Universal Installer" (location - $ORACLE_HOME) but I still can't find the runIstaller executable.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    -Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri

what platform are you running Oracle on????

if unix or linux simply type: ./runInstaller

if on windows, you can can run from GUI, it doesn't matter where you run your installer from, you will come down to the same thing.

sorry for the incomplete info; it's on HP-UX 11.0
    However I don't agree that simply typing "./runIstaller" will run it. The file has to exist in the curent directory.
    In my case it does not exist and I want to know how to install it ?
    Rajeev Suri

OUI may be found at /mount_point/app/oracle/oui/install, assuming you used OFA.

Within ORACLE_HOME/bin, you may have a link pointing to such. In general, you can find OUI in the app/oracle base directory of the first RDBMS product you installed. Other Oracle products, such as Forms 6i, will have a version of OUI located directly within the ORACLE_HOME directory under the orainst directory. Some Oracle products will use the same installer for multiple products. Oracle9i Developer Suite has an OUI that can be used for iDS and other products (after you upgrade the OUI version using patchset 1 for iDS).

Where to find the oraInventory location? One way is to look in /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc and see what inventory_loc references.

If you can rlogin to the server (with appropriate privileges), setting your DISPLAY back to where you are physically located, which assuming you are not using Exceed/etc. and are on a UNIX box yourself (which has a CD-ROM drive), why not mount your local CD-ROM drive so you don't have to run down to the server room?

Originally posted by candyman
    if unix or linux simply type: ./runInstaller
    And the next point of order is the quotation above. ./runInstaller will work if, and only if, the executable is in your current working directory. Putting the ./ in front used an absolute reference. "Simply" typing "runInstaller" by itself would work if you have ORACLE_HOME/bin in your path statement.