DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Copying percent of production to Dev.

Guys (and girls),

Is there an easy way of copying a percentage of a database to another database, keeping integrity ? I have written a process to do this, but it is a mish-mash of database packages and SQL scripts, using DB Links to pass the data. It has worked, but it is over complicated.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Mike

hmm export/import should work

How ?

I'm talking about a percentage (not 100%, that would be easy :-) ) of a relationsal database without losing database integrity and not keeping database integrity by copying data that isn't needed. If you can do that in export, then great, but I would be VERY surprised.

Mike

well you just want some rows from a table or the whole table? if you want a few rows then the only way is db link

PS

I've just re-read that and it looks a bit aggressive, which it wasn't meant to be, I was just so surprised you said export/import would work.

Mike

If you want it for Read-Only, an option is Standby Database.
    Ramon Caballero, DBA, rcaballe@yahoo.com

m1l, have you investigated the QUERY option of export? (it's in 8i, don't know about 8.0). It would still be a huge hassle to get a subset of data, but better than moving it via flat files, I suspect. You could at least get a group of tables in one swipe, depending on your dependencies.

Good Luck, D.

You could use the COPY command in SQLPlus (look in the SQLPlus docs). It doesn't require dblinks or export/import. It allows you to copy any recordset you can think of defining in the SELECT statement clause.