DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SVRMGRL ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Smile

I get the error ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
    on trying to execute server manager at the command prompt using the SVRMGRL command.

I set trace on in the sqlnet file and find that server manager tries to use BEQ as the protocol while it should be using TCP. All my files sqlnet.ora, listener.ora and tnsnames.ora refer to TCP as the protocol adapter. I am unable to find how server manager is picking BEQ. Please help.

It's because you are not putting any alias.
    put the variable TWO_TASK=alias
    or after svrmgrl even with the error, try
    SVRMGR>set instance alias
    Ramon Caballero, DBA, rcaballe@yahoo.com

Pardon my ignorance. My DBA knowledge is minimal. Do I have to type the set instance alias statement as is or should I be replacing it with some values.

Where should I set the two_task variable? Is this at the operating system level (WIndows NT) or is this an oracle specific parameter?Thanks.

There are varias causes . Could you tnsping <service name> ?
    Got same error msg ?

Check your TNSNAME.ora and SQLNET.ora .

well if you are doing connect internal in the machine where the database is located it will always use internal protocol IPC or BEQ
    The error you are getting could be that the enviroment variable ORACLE_SID is not set, it doesnt necessary have to do with networking.

in ms-dos prompt type
    set ORACLE_SID=whatever_you_have_as_SID

I set the Oracle SID at the system prompt. I also ran tnsping. It does not give the same error message.

But when I tried running sqlplus from Program files->Oracle816->Application Development->sqlplus, it returns a different error. It gives ORA-12500 TNS listener failed to start dedicated server process.

Just to be clear, at the command prompt I typed lsnrctl and did a start which was successful. My listener.ora, tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files are correctly set.

The Virtual memory is exceeding total memory. Better you go for MTS.

Thanks,
    Bhaskar

But this is a development machine with just one small database instance created. I don't think it can be a memory problem. Oracle 8.1.6. is being installed here. Everything worked fine with Oracle 8.1.5