DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Autoextend - performance?

Autoextend - performance?

In a previous thread I was convinced I should use AUTOEXTEND with MAXSIZE: http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=34935 and I'm now planning to rebuild my tablespaces bearing this in mind (LMT uniform etc etc as well).

Extending a file takes some time - does anyone see a performance hit when files are extended?

I would expect that nothing would "hang", provided that the buffers were big enough to hold all the dirty blocks that are waiting to be written to that file. Have I missed anything?

TIA - DaPi

Maybe if you have lots of datafiles on many harddisks that extend with too small steps, you might encounter waits. Or if you extend with large steps (let's say 128MB).

If you know the specs of your disk-array (cache, I/O speeds, etc), you can determine the right extend-size, right?

HTH,
    Erik
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Also, depends on the value you have specifed for NEXT's of the datafile & the segment in Q which needs to extend.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"