DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to start using histograms?

Question How to start using histograms?

Hi guys,

I read some articles about histograms and a question that was posted here: link

I really think that setting up the histograms could improve performance on larger tables, but the Oracle documentation isn't very clear on their explanation. So, I hope you guys can enlighten some questions I have.

Here they are:
    1. Quote from "Oracle9i Database performance Tuning" ocp-book:
    Choosing the number of buckets for a histogram.
    If the number of frequently occurring distinct values in a column is relatively small, then set the number of buckets to be greater then that number.
    Okay, I get this, but how much bigger must that number be? Number of distinct values+1 or +2, +10?

2. How do I determine the number of buckets, when the number of distinct values is bigger than the maximum number of buckets(254)?
    Do you make an estimated guess and test the results and increase/decrease the number and test again? I think analyzing all kinds of columns would take a lot of time and my production db has limited rest time.
    Can someone give me some guidelines on this?

3. How big must a table be, before I can use column-histograms?
    (1000 rows? 10000 rows? 1 mln rows?)

Any help, links or guidance are welcome...

Erik
    Last edited by efrijters; 09-17-2003 at 04:54 AM.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

No ideas? Anyone? Well, I'll try to install the scripts from akadia.com and try to explain them to myself. When I have a 'Eureka!'-moment, I'll post some results here...
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

The DBMS_STATS.GATHER_TABLE_STATS() procedure in 9isupports automatic identification of number of buckets, so you might try that.

If you are using an OLTP system with extensive use of bind variables, then histograms will not do anything for you -- if you are predicating on highly skewed columns and you want the optimizer plan to be sensitive to the skew, then you have to stopusing bind variables on that column.

For DSS/DW batch jobs, histograms may be beneficial - I'd look at the automatic skew identification through the DBMS_STATS procedure to make it simpler.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Thanks slimdave,

I'm running Oracle8i, so automatic 'bucketing' is out of the question.

And it's an OLTP with al lot of bind variables (and that's how it should be) so again the quest for the holy grail ends without result...

Erik