DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: creating another sid for an existing database

creating another sid for an existing database

hello

i ve a 8i database which iam accessing thro an instance called test. i created another instance(using oradim) called demo and created a init parameter file called initdemo.ora. i edited the file and gave the details viz : db_name, instance name, service name,etc. when i tried to start up the database using the new init parameter file, the instance is getting started but after that iam getting an error stating that the control file cannot be located. what could be the reason. iam using the same control file that was referred by the old instance (test). can some one help me on this

thanks in advance

rswamin

I am not sure what you mean by an instance in your problem description. Are you using Oracle Parallel Server and making a new instance to access a particular database or are you just setting up an alternate set of initXXXX.or and configXXXX.ora files so that you can start up your database with a different set of init parameters - say because you want one with a larger SGA or Block Buffers?

You don't need to copy the old control files as these should be recreated (using the new instance details). At least this is the case when using an edited trace file to create a copy of an instance.
    If I have to choose between two evils, I always like to choose the one I haven't tried yet.