DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NLS LANGUAGE: How to set it?

NLS LANGUAGE: How to set it?

Guys, I have a few questions, could you please help me.

1) How do I change the NLS_LANGUAGE to SPANISH from the existing one?

2) By changing the NLS_LANGUAGE to SPANISH, would the data also get changed to SPANISH? What does NLS_LANGUAGE control?

Kindly help me guys...

Vipassana

BTW I'm using Oracle 9i on Win 2000.

1.NLS_LANG settings can be changed from your control pannel-->regional settings.
    2.IT is no way connected to your database data.

Take a look in to oracle documentation.

Originally posted by akhadar
    1.NLS_LANG settings can be changed from your control pannel-->regional settings.
    2.IT is no way connected to your database data.

Take a look in to oracle documentation.
    So then why do we have parameters like NLS_LANGUAGE?

I am using ALTER SESSION SET NLS_LANGUAGE = SPANISH; it says "session altered". But the server messages remains the same in English. I mean if I say ROLLBACK after this command, it gives "Rollback Complete"...it must have given that in Spanish right?

Am I missing anything, need your input guys...

Go to Registry.There HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE-->where ever u will find NLS_LANG u can use SPANISH and all your messages will be in spanish.
    Note:For English we use MAERICAN_AMERIA but i don't know what will be used for spanish.

I am a little amazed that with so many gurus out here, no one could give me a straight answer to my Qs ...

I am trying with docs and metalink, nothin seems to be working. If someone feels they shd extend their hand to help, pls feel free to do so.

All the people who are offering solutions are doing it on a volunteer basis. I expect there is a filtering effect - they respond to the questions that they are interested in or which can be handled without doing any special research. If someone out there already knows the answer to your question and can spare a minute to type it in, that's good for you. But if someone has to do special research to answer your question it might as well be you. If it is someone else then it would be only because they are interested in the question too and want to trust the results.

Perhaps the question just isn't interesting enough to guru class.

Do us little favour
    Go through this link
    http://my.kharkov.org/docs/oracle/nt.816/a73010/apb.htm

Here it is mentioned how to set up your NLS_LANG settings (including spanish)

After a short research I found this:
    To see server messages in a language you have set in NLS_LANGUAGE parameter, you need appropriate files in the ORACLE_HOME\RDBMS\MESG directory. These files use convention <product_id><language_abbrev>.MSB.

If you don't have appropriate files there, you'll see the messages in English. I guess you need specify Spanish during Oracle install to have the files there.
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys