DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Autometically Shutdown the Database on NT 4

How to Autometically Shutdown the Database on NT 4

On Windows NT-4.00, I have created a Oracle Serice and it is set as Autometic in Control Panel. When the Server starts then the Database Autometically gets started.

My question is :

Is there any utility in NT that when we shutdown the server the Database will Autometically shutdown the way it gets started when we up the server. ?
    vishal sood
    OCP 8

When u shutdown your server your database is also shutdown automatically.

Windows 2K srever ,has a registry key
    ( ORA_Database Name_SHUTDOWN )
    which fix yor problem , check your Win NT4 registry and set this key = TRUE .
    Last edited by tarek; 09-16-2003 at 01:28 AM.
    Tarek Al'Kaddoumi ...

I checked the NT-4 registry there is a parameter Ora_Dbname_Shutdown and it is set as True.

I shutdown the server without shuting down the Database. And on restarting the server I checked the Alert Log and observed two things i.e.

1. There was no entry regarding shutting down the database(Which should be there when I shutdown the server because Ora_Dbname_Shutdown is set to True)

2.There is a entry in Alert log i.e. Database mounted in Exclusive Mode and Crash recovery started and it applied Redo log files.

so, it means that even after setting the parameter Ora_Dbname_Shutdown = TRUE, on shuting down the server the Database is not shuting down autometically.

Some other Soloution required !.
    vishal sood
    OCP 8

CHECK SHUTDOWN_TYPE
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

it is as

Ora_Dbname_shutdowntype = 'Y'
    vishal sood
    OCP 8

change to i & you will see all the messages in alert log
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Give also enough time for the DB to shutdown otherwise it will shutdown abort.

The time is set by the key ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT
    If there is no solution, it is because there is no problem - Shadok -

This link brings you to the page, that explains all...
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Thank u all.

But I think my question misunderstood by all. What I am saying is when I have created Oracle Service and set it as Autometic and the database gets started when I up the Server. I need not go to every time to control panel to start the Oracle Service.

Same I want for when I shutdown the NT Server the database should shutdown autometically.

kindly note I don't want to go to Control Panel-Service option to stop the service.
    vishal sood
    OCP 8