DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Accessing a remote table

Accessing a remote table

Hi all

We have 2 different instance for eg. db01, db02.

The objects in db01 are accessible to scott(a schema for eg) in db02 using a public dblink unthenticated by scott.

If another user for eg. scott1 in db02 want access the same tables from db01, how the access can be done. It is the existing db_link can be used since the db_link is a public db_link? But right now the scott1 is unable to access the table from db01.

Pls Help me.

Regards

Bhaskara

create a public databaselink on db02 similarly how u have created one on db01.

As I understand it you have two users SCOTT and SCOTT1 in DB02 and SCOTT can get access to data in DB01 via a public database link but SCOTT1 cannot.

There are two main possibilities and a minor possibility and it would be useful to know what error message SCOTT1 gets to resolve which of the possibilities applies.

For the PUBLIC database link to work with SCOTT and not SCOTT1, SCOTT must be a user in both databases with the same password in both databases and grants on the tables.

One possibility is that SCOTT1 does not exist in both databases or does not have the same password in both locations. In this case he should get ORA-01017 (followed by ORA-02063).

A second possiblity is that SCOTT1 exists in both databases and has the same password in both locations but does not have the required privilege on the table. In that case they would get error ORA-00942 (again followed by ORA-02063).

A less likely possibility (but still a possibility) is that one or the other of these users is actually using a private database link with different properties. In that case it could be the link rather than the users that explains the differences in access.

Re: Accessing a remote table

Originally posted by PsudoDBA

If another user for eg. scott1 in db02 want access the same tables from db01, how the access can be done. It is the existing db_link can be used since the db_link is a public db_link? But right now the scott1 is unable to access the table from db01.
    I read this as follows:

db1 has user SCOTT
    db1 has a dblink to db2
    db2 has SCOTT1

SCOTT read tables in db2, but now SCOTT1 wants to read data in db1. To do this he wants to use the dblink that was created in db1.

Am I correct?

As far as I know, DB Links only work one way... So, if you want SCOTT1 to read from DB1, you must create a dblink in db2 pointing to db1.

HTH,

Erik
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

In the original post it says:

The objects in db01 are accessible to scott(a schema for eg) in db02 using a public dblink unthenticated by scott.

If another user for eg. scott1 in db02 want access the same tables from db01
    So it seems to me that SCOTT is in DB02 and SCOTT1 is also in DB02.