DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Consistent backup in RMAN

Consistent backup in RMAN

I want to have a consistent backup in my database and here is what I plan to do:
    1. Shutdown immediate.
    2. Startup mount.
    3. RMAN -> backup database

Is this my correct steps for a RMAN consistent full backup? I don't need to backup the archive logs right for this consistent backup? Thanks in advance.

Do u want ur DB to be not accessable during backup.?
    anandkl

It depends on your organisation business needs. How much u are comfortable with your backup strategies. What is your backup mode.If your database is need to up 24*7 only way is inconsistent backup.So with out much information on your database setup it is tough decision to make.

I thought of having cold(consistent) backup once a month where I will startup the DB but users cannot connect to it. And then full backup is performed daily for the month before cold backup. So is the 'startup mount' ok for consistent RMAN backup?

1.Still u have not mentioned the database mode.
    2.IF u mean the fulldatabase backup(level 0 ) and u are using RMAN why u want to keep the database in mounting condition.As for fullbackup still u can make your database open and can perform the backup.

akhadar,

Ok let me get what I want clear. FYI, my 9.2.0.1 DB is running in archived log mode. From what I know the hot RMAN backup is not consistent and I need the archived logs for database recovery. I still using RMAN for hot daily backup. I'm now thinking of having cold(consistent) backup once a month.

My questions:
    1. So with this cold RMAN backup do I only need to keep the archived logs from the colf backup until today right? I can delete the old archived logs before the cold RMAN backup?
    2. Is it OK that I my DB in mounted state when I perform the cold RMAN backup?

1.Who said that the hot backup is not consistent?.
    2.U are not thinking about the advantages of using hotbackup and i assume that u are afraid of it.
    3.If u are planning to take a cold backup what is the use of archivelog files.U are mixing lot of things here.
    4.For a cold backup generally the database will be in shutdown mode.

Better if u have a look in to the backup and recovery manuals.

Yes hot backup is consistent in the sense that you have all the archived logs in place. In this case if hot backup were to run for 1 year, the generated archived logs will be 183GB imagine 0.5GB or archived logs per day. My existing 100GB of SAN will be out of diskspace.

Again i repeat that u are totally missing the concept.
    Here is the example what the backup strategies i use at my work place.
    1.Daily hot incremental level 1 backup.
    2.Week end a full hot backup level 0.
    3.Weekly cold backup.

No need to keep all year long archive logs.keep at least month long archive logs in your tapes orwhere ever u are taking your backup.And at least 2 to 3 days of archive logs on your server hard disk.In the event of recovery u will have a minimum down time.

This is only an example.Search for other example and do follow the manuals u will get some idea.