DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: character set

Can you please find out from Oracle step by step procedure to convert a database from simplified Chinese Character to traditional Chinese Character.

ehhhh have you tried it yourself at all huh?

I have a DMP file exported from a Simplified Chinese Character Set Oracle DB. But I need Import this DMP file into a Oracle DB with defferece character Set(eg. Tranditional Chinese Character Set). Please tell me whether or not there are some method to do it. Thanks!

There is an article on [url]http://www.oracledba.co.uk[/url] to change a character set. Check it out and then check on Metalink to check for relevant info.

I don't want to change character set for my DB.The only thing I want to do is import DMP file(exported from Simplified Chinese DB) into another DB with tranditional Chinese character set.

Multi-Byte Character Sets and Export and Import

An export file that is produced with a multi-byte character set (for example, Chinese or Japanese) must be imported on a system that has the same character set or where the ratio of the width of the widest character in the import character set to the width of the smallest character in the export character set is 1. If the ratio is not 1, Import cannot translate the character data to the Import character set.

I never tried before . But I think possible or not , it's depandant on how you input numberic and special chars (like '*=') into the varchar2 column . If the numberic and
    special char are also stored as 2 chars which is same as simplific chinese . Then the conversion is possible .

I remeber that for Simplific Chinese Env. There are
    two kinds to input the numberic and special char into varchar2
    . One is just use Ascii , which is 1 char , Another is using Simplific Chinese input , which is stored as 2 chars .
    Converison is only possible in the second case .

Anyway , If anybody has done before , please let me know .

Who can tell me what's diference and relation in NLS_LANG,NLS_LANGUAGE,NLS_CHARACTERSET ?