DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ora-01031 insufficient privilege error

Unhappy ora-01031 insufficient privilege error

Oracle 9.2.0
    Windows 2000
    Trying to connect to Oracle server (from the server itself).

Windows user is a member of ora_dba group, and also in local admin group. Plus in sqlnet.ora file, the authentication is set to NTS.

However, I can't connect to Oracle server when login as windows user w/o providing a password. What I did was:

c:> sqlplus /nolog
    sql> connect /as sysdba
    ERROR:
    ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.

So what went wrong here? I feel I've set everything the way it needs to be, but just can't get it work.

FYI -- the Oracle was installed when I logged in as administrator to the local machine. And now I'm log in as a domain user. Of course, both local admin and the domain user are member of ora_dba and local admin group.

Any hint is greatly appreciated!

Re: ora-01031 insufficient privilege error

Originally posted by elaine3839
    Oracle 9.2.0
    Windows 2000
    Trying to connect to Oracle server (from the server itself).

Windows user is a member of ora_dba group, and also in local admin group. Plus in sqlnet.ora file, the authentication is set to NTS.

However, I can't connect to Oracle server when login as windows user w/o providing a password. What I did was:

c:> sqlplus /nolog
    sql> connect /as sysdba
    ERROR:
    ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.

So what went wrong here? I feel I've set everything the way it needs to be, but just can't get it work.

FYI -- the Oracle was installed when I logged in as administrator to the local machine. And now I'm log in as a domain user. Of course, both local admin and the domain user are member of ora_dba and local admin group.

Any hint is greatly appreciated!

Try this may help you:

From Metalink Note:50507.1

OSDBA & OSOPER Groups on NT
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The 'OSDBA' and 'OSOPER' groups on NT are simply groups with the name "ORA_DBA", "ORA_OPER", "ORA_sid_DBA" or "ORA_sid_OPER", where 'sid' is the instance name.
    Eg: To make a user an administrative user simply:
    a) Ensure there is a line in the SQLNET.ORA file which reads: SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
    b) Create a LOCAL user
    c) Create a local NT group ORA_DBA or ORA_sid_DBA where 'sid' is in upper case
    d) Add the user to the ORA_DBA or ORA_sid_DBA group
    e) That user should now be able to "connect / as sysdba"

Hope this helps.
    Nagesh

Hi elaine

Try and log in as administrator and bring up the database and re grant the privilages to user and then try doing what you are doing. Should work i suppose.
    rajorcl

what makes you think administrator will have the rights to start the databse?

Originally posted by davey23uk
    I am not saying admin should have rights to start the database, what I said is the member belong to ora_dba group should have rights to start the database.

The reason for me to mention admin group is that you have to have admin privilege to install oracle on that server.

Originally posted by kanthbethi
    Hi elaine

Try and log in as administrator and bring up the database and re grant the privilages to user and then try doing what you are doing. Should work i suppose.
    What do you mean grant the privilege to the user?

What I tried is log in as administrator to the local machine, add domain user to the dba_user group, then log in as domain user. But that didn't help. Any other thoughts?

Re: Re: ora-01031 insufficient privilege error

Thanks! I think I have everything mentioned in this KB note(see my original post), but it still doesn't work. Actually, you don't have to create ORA_DBA group manually (at least to me). It got created by installer when you install Oracle.

Originally posted by gnagesh
    Try this may help you:

From Metalink Note:50507.1

OSDBA & OSOPER Groups on NT
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The 'OSDBA' and 'OSOPER' groups on NT are simply groups with the name "ORA_DBA", "ORA_OPER", "ORA_sid_DBA" or "ORA_sid_OPER", where 'sid' is the instance name.
    Eg: To make a user an administrative user simply:
    a) Ensure there is a line in the SQLNET.ORA file which reads: SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
    b) Create a LOCAL user
    c) Create a local NT group ORA_DBA or ORA_sid_DBA where 'sid' is in upper case
    d) Add the user to the ORA_DBA or ORA_sid_DBA group
    e) That user should now be able to "connect / as sysdba"

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by davey23uk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not saying admin should have rights to start the database, what I said is the member belong to ora_dba group should have rights to start the database.

The reason for me to mention admin group is that you have to have admin privilege to install oracle on that server
    sorry my response wasn't aimed at your point, was aimed at the person who said log in as an administrator and start database up from there (which wont work)

Try going thru this link and see if you have everything configured as said.

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...h7.htm#1064396
    -- Dilip

Originally posted by patel_dil
    Try going thru this link and see if you have everything configured as said.

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...h7.htm#1064396
    Thanks so much! I will definitely give that a try!