DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleting all oracle services.

On the original post, I merely pointed out what the How To forum was for - nothing "funny," nothing snide, no power trip(huh?). So what was Alchemy's point? New poster, I pointed out what the How To forum was for. Alchemy gets in my face about it. I'm guilty of what now?

Yes Stecal, reading a book or two in most cases would have answered that, BUT the book I'm reading does not cover that, it refers to ORACLE material, NOT windows material. If I wanted to learn windows 2000 pro I would have enrolled into a course that taught windows 2000 pro.
    Rick

Sigh.....those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.
    I too remember when this place was coo.

A book you can buy:
    Oracle9i for Windows 2000, Tips and Techniques, by Oracle Press.
    http://www.bookpool.com

Documentation that is free (several others specific to Windows are here as well):
    Oracle9i Database Getting Started
    Release 2 (9.2) for Windows
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...a95490/toc.htm

If I wanted to learn windows 2000 pro I would have enrolled into a course that taught windows 2000 pro.
    That is really not a good perspective of how you use Oracle. You do need to know aspects of the underlying OS, and a Windows admin class is not a bad idea at all. Necessary? No. But definitely helpful, not just for Oracle, but for other things as well.

That sticky up there (which jeff pasted) is more than enough for anyone to go through the basic check/hunt/figure what he/she wants to.

There is no need to be harsh/nasty all the time.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Perhaps we need a new Yoga or Anger Management forum, where we can go and count to 10 before we answer some posts
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Originally posted by jovery
    Perhaps we need a new Yoga or Anger Management forum, where we can go and count to 10 before we answer some posts
    Hold on!! can we make it "count to 9" untill 10G is out?
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

First: thanks for the advice on the books, I will buy one.

Second: I made those comments thinking that the systems admin will take care of all of the systems/network aspect of the dba's work. I'm not aware that the dba will "have" to do any of that, well, not for a large corporation anyway. Thats why I come to these places, to pick your brain for nuggets that will help me, I may post on the wrong forum, but at least that will get me the info I can use.
    Thank you Stecal.
    Rick

I don't know, but it seems like the larger the place, the more they expect you to do/know on your own because the admins are too busy doing "real" admin work.

Stecal: What other skills would an oracle DBA need, besides windows?
    Thanks.
    Rick
    Rick

An opportunity to proselytize, I see.

Personal skills:
    Well, when the brown-stuff hits the fan, crowd control and mob psychology certainly come to mind. Kung Fu fighting skills, where you can dodge spears being thrown at you a la Cain in the opening credits of "Kung Fu," are useful. Knowing the tenets of Swimming with Sharks is a must (http://www.uwm.edu/People/bmaas/misc/howtoswim.html).

Technical skills:
    Oracle. But what does that entail? Knowing the ins and outs of every single feature? No. Definitely includes the features you are using, and staying abreast of what is coming down the road (new features, getting off deprecated features before you have no choice, pertinent bug fixes, and so on).

Keep/make a little black book of things you need to know like right NOW in case there is a major problem. It's like an emergency procedures checklist. A minute or two skimming the steps on how to restore a ______ (fill in the blank) may save you from pulling an all-nighter trying to un-goatscrew the mistake you made.

Knowledge of the underlying OS - if you are on UNIX, what would it take for you to know what it takes to be a junior UNIX SA? Same with Windows. Self-sufficiency cannot be overvalued.

Read a lot of books/documentation. If you have access to MetaLink, use the bookmark feature to store useful articles.

Programming skills can only help you, especially PL/SQL. Knowledge of Java helps too (using the jar command, for example).

Know installation inside and out. Comes in handy when trying to install other Oracle products (9i Application Server & Developer Suite, for example, lots of conflicting documentation on disk and memory requirements, sometimes no information on what you need for environment variables).

That's a start. I'm sure others will be happy to add their perspective.