DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cyrillic Alphabet

Cyrillic Alphabet

Hi all,

I have a client in Russia and they are using CYRILLIC alphabet so eventually I have to create a database with the character set to CL8MSWIN1251.

1. Is it the right character set for Russia???
    2. on windows, and I copy the CYRILLIC alphabet and paste it to SQL plus, I got ????????????? , is there anything I have to set on Windows.

any advises????

Hi,

I've done quite a lot of corresponding in Russian, as my wife is Russian.

You'd probably be better using SQLPlus worksheet where you might be able to change the Font setting to accept the different typeface.

I can't remember which way round the font setting needs to be... either Unicode or Non-Unicode!

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

I could always get my wife to look up a Russian Oracle resource site and check out what character sets they are using in general!

It might actually vary though - depending upon which area of Russian you are in. Some of the lesser states may have character sets that may allow the use of Russian characters and their OWN lesser known characters... e.g. Russian/Uzbek.

Good look with it!

- Tony.

Thanks for your advises,

when I go to Font setting, I can't find anywhere it said about different typaface as mentioned. the only thing I see is Font with the drop down list which include: dialog, sansseriff, serif, monospaces, dialognput

1. could you please to be more specific on typeface??? or where I can get to unicode or code????
    2. the database character set when creating the database, should I use CL8MSWIN1251.???

thanks

Hi Iam not sure whether this will help u...
    but this site has some function called CONVERT()

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...s22a.htm#77039
    Cheers!
    OraKid.

Hi,

The character set you are choosing looks fine.

With regard to getting SQL*Plus to accept Cyrillic characters:

In standard configurations SQL*Plus will support Cyrillic only if the default system locale is set to Russian (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage=1251). This is needed for the fonts used by SQL*Plus (e.g. Fixedsys in GUI) to contain Cyrillic.

You can set:

SQLPLUS_FONT=Courier New
    SQLPLUS_FONT_CHARSET=RUSSIAN

in Registry (along with NLS_LANG) to override the use of Fixedsys in SQL*Plus GUI.

Hope this is of some use.

:-|

- Tony.

Tony,

thanks for your prompt reply. Could you please give me the full instruction of how to add the below advise. I wasn't clear with the isntruction. Where is the (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage=1251), I know it's in the registry but where????

Do I have to add

SQLPLUS_FONT=Courier New
    SQLPLUS_FONT_CHARSET=RUSSIAN

along with the codepage-1251???? and where do I can the SQLPLUS_FONT and SQLPLUS_FONT_CHARSET

thanks

AJW_ID01,

any response??? Could you email me if you don't mind??? Mine is williamsith@yahoo.com

thanks,