DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9i 'Personal edition' or 9i Lite?

9i 'Personal edition' or 9i Lite?

Ora9i Personal Edition - is this supplied seperately from the 9.2.0.1 media pack?

I only got 9i Lite 5.0.2.0 bundled with the pack ... is Lite the same as Personal? If not, whats are the differences and is Personal edition free?

Hi.

Personal and Lite are not the same thing.

Lite is intended to be used to deploy application on PDA, notebooks etc. It is designed to support syncronization with a main systems. Early versions of Lite did look like a small version of Oracle, but now it doesn't resemble it at all. Think of it more as a mobile application support system rather than a little database.

Personal is the same as standard edition with a few bits switched off and some simple admin tools. It's still got a huge footprint and it does cost money, but it's price is in the £100s rather than £1000s.

Some distribution disks give you the option of installing personal from the EE CDs, some do not.

You can download it from otn.oracle.com, but if you're doing it to check the product out you might as well get EE and be done with it.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Thanks Tim,
    Can't seem to find a downloadable 9i 'Personal' only facility. I don't want to download the full 9i DB set. I have these on disk already and Personal Edition does not seem to be an option in it.

It's intended for an Win XP Pro laptop - the only version I can find is 9i vers9.0 for Win 98 (on otn.oracle.com). Do you know if there is a version certified for use with XP?