DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Usage of TDU and SDU in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora

Usage of TDU and SDU in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora

Hello,

I'm experiencing many wait events on "SQL*Net message to client" (26720802) and "SQL*Net message from client" (26720868).

The db is a Oracle 8.1.7.1.1.
    The db is used by a forms application that runs on a different node (IAS).

I read in the manual that this could be resolved by tuning the TDU- and SDU-parameters in the TNSNAMENS.ORA and LISTENER.ORA.

I know how to do this, but because this is a production db, I want some reassurance (if possible).

My questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience using these parameters? Are there any pitfalls?
    2. Does it really make a huge difference?
    3. Is there a way to test if the parameters are actually working? (The number of wait events will decrease maybe, but I want to check and double-check the alteration.)

Thanks in advance and excuses for any typos

Erik
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Hmmm... A different question:

I see a lot of SQL*Net wait events in my db. Above I mentioned the TDU and SDU parameters.

Are there more items I can tune, to tune SQL*Net?

links or other info would be appreciated.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

SQL*Net wait events are pretty much idle events. Most times they can be ignored.

However, If you are pumping ALOT of data, tweaking the SDU/TDU parameters may help. The change is relatively transparent; change the tnsnames.ora on the client, change the listener.ora on the server and reload the listener.

I have experimented with SDU/TDU in my environment, but have not experienced a noticable improvement.
    Jeff Hunter

Okay, thanks.

I was testing this all day now, but I don't see any improvements. I used TOAD to visualize the wait events and the whole graph was dominated by SQL*Net-waits.

I wish performance tuning was a bit easier... (still struggling with performance tuning for my exam)