DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RBO gone, who cares?

RBO gone, who cares?

What is all the fuss about the Rule Based Optimizer going in 10G. I've never used it since Oracle7 and it's been an Oracle recommendation not to use it since then.

I agree with Tom Kyte all the way. Use the CBO and avoid hints like the plague (not counting APPEND and PARALLEL etc). I've seen people try to be clever with hints only to destroy the performance when data volumes change.

I've been doing this for over 8 years in many companies and I've not seen a single case where the RBO was useful for production code and I've only needed hints on a handful of very specific occasions.

Anyone think different?

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

True Tim, I too don't care but I think many shops are still running their legacy applications using RBO on Oracle7.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Tim :

Not always CBO is good, some times it suks !!

Ok, here is just a simple eg,

Code:
    SCIW_PRODUCTION_DBA> select table_name,index_name,column_position,substr(column_name, 1, 30) from dba_ind_columns
      2  where table_name='WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS' order by table_name,index_name,column_position;

TABLE_NAME                     INDEX_NAME                          COLUMN_POSITION SUBSTR(COLUMN_NAME,1,30)      
    ------------------------------ ------------------------------ -------------------- ------------------------------
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        BIT_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                       1 PH_LEVEL_NO                   
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        BIT_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                       2 VER_STAT_NAME                 
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        BIT_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                       3 FCST_BASE_PERIOD_DATE         
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        BIT_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                       4 ORG_LEVEL_NO                  
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        BIT_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                       5 PRODUCT_TYPE                  
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        BIT_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                       6 ATTRIBUTE_NAME                
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        1 PIN                           
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        2 ORG_CODE                      
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        3 PH_LEVEL_NO                   
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        4 VER_STAT_NAME                 
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        5 FCST_BASE_PERIOD_DATE         
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        6 ORG_LEVEL_NO                  
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        7 PRODUCT_TYPE                  
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        8 REGION_CODE                   
    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS        PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS                        9 ATTRIBUTE_NAME                

15 rows selected.

SCIW_PRODUCTION_DBA> set autotrace on explain
    SCIW_PRODUCTION_DBA> ed
    Wrote file afiedt.buf

1  select 
      2    a.ITEM_DESC,
      3    a.ph_level_no,
      4    a.pin,a.org_name, 
      5    reporting_prod_hier_hist.PH_MARKETING_SORT_SEQ_NO as sortseq,  
      6    a.ATTRIBUTE_NAME as ATTRIBUTE_NAME,
      7    a.FCST_QTY_M1-b.FCST_QTY_M1 as FCST_QTY_M1,
      8    a.FCST_QTY_M2-b.FCST_QTY_M2 as FCST_QTY_M2,
      9    a.FCST_QTY_M3-b.FCST_QTY_M3 as FCST_QTY_M3,
     10    a.FCST_QTY_M4-b.FCST_QTY_M4 as FCST_QTY_M4,
     11    a.FCST_QTY_M5-b.FCST_QTY_M5 as FCST_QTY_M5,
     12    a.FCST_QTY_M6-b.FCST_QTY_M6 as FCST_QTY_M6,
     13    a.ACTUAL_QTY_M1 as ACTUAL_QTY_M1,
     14    a.ACTUAL_QTY_M2 as ACTUAL_QTY_M2,
     15    a.ACTUAL_QTY_M3 as ACTUAL_QTY_M3 
     16  from 
     17    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS a,
     18    WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS b, 
     19    reporting_prod_hier_hist, 
     20    sc_product_hier_ver 
     21  WHERE 
     22    reporting_prod_hier_hist.ver_seq_no = sc_product_hier_ver.ver_seq_no AND 
     23    sc_product_hier_ver.eff_date <= To_Date('8/26/2003','MM/DD/YYYY') AND 
     24    sc_product_hier_ver.exp_date > To_Date('8/26/2003','MM/DD/YYYY') AND 
     25    a.PIN = reporting_prod_hier_hist.pin AND 
     26    a.FCST_BASE_PERIOD_DATE(+) = TO_DATE('08/01/2003', 'mm/dd/yyyy') AND 
     27    a.ORG_LEVEL_NO = '1' AND 
     28    a.PH_LEVEL_NO = '0' AND 
     29    a.PRODUCT_TYPE = 'UN' AND 
     30    a.PARENT_PIN = 'CORP' AND 
     31    a.PARENT_ORG_CODE = 'CORP' and 
     32    a.ATTRIBUTE_NAME = 'DSHIP_QTY' and 
     33    a.VER_STAT_NAME(+) ='COR1' and 
     34    b.VER_STAT_NAME(+) ='COR1' AND 
     35    b.FCST_BASE_PERIOD_DATE(+) = TO_DATE('08/01/2003', 'mm/dd/yyyy') AND 
     36    a.pin= b.pin(+) AND a.org_code = b.org_code(+) AND 
     37    a.attribute_name = b.attribute_name(+) AND 
     38    a.ph_level_no=b.ph_level_no(+) AND 
     39    a.org_level_no=b.org_level_no(+) AND 
     40    a.product_type = b.product_type(+) AND 
     41    a.region_code= b.region_code(+) 
     42  Order By 
     43    a.item_desc,
     44    a.org_name,
     45    sortseq, 
     46    a.org_name,  
     47*   a.attribute_name
    SCIW_PRODUCTION_DBA> /

Execution Plan
    ----------------------------------------------------------                                                        
       0      SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE (Cost=895 Card=1 Bytes=235                                            
              )                                                                                                       

1    0   SORT (ORDER BY) (Cost=895 Card=1 Bytes=235)                                                           
       2    1     NESTED LOOPS (OUTER) (Cost=890 Card=1 Bytes=235)                                                    
       3    2       NESTED LOOPS (Cost=887 Card=1 Bytes=171)                                                          
       4    3         MERGE JOIN (CARTESIAN) (Cost=884 Card=1 Bytes=139)                                              
       5    4           TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'SC_PRODUCT_HIER_                                            
              VER' (Cost=1 Card=1 Bytes=31)                                                                           

6    5             INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF 'UK1_SC_PRODUCT_HIER_VER_B                                            
              AK' (UNIQUE) (Cost=1 Card=1)                                                                            

7    4           BUFFER (SORT) (Cost=883 Card=1 Bytes=108)                                                     
       8    7             TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'WKLY_ADV_DELTA                                            
              _AGGR_FIS' (Cost=884 Card=1 Bytes=108)                                                                  

9    8               BITMAP CONVERSION (TO ROWIDS)                                                             
      10    9                 BITMAP INDEX (SINGLE VALUE) OF 'BIT_WKLY_ADV                                            
              _DELTA_AGGR_FIS'                                                                                        

11    3         TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'REPORTING_PROD_HIE                                            
              R_HIST' (Cost=2 Card=355664 Bytes=11381248)                                                             

12   11           INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF 'PK_REPORTING_PROD_HIER_HIS                                            
              T' (UNIQUE) (Cost=1 Card=1)                                                                             

13    2       TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_                                            
              FIS' (Cost=3 Card=1 Bytes=64)                                                                           

14   13         INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF 'PK_WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS'                                             
              (UNIQUE) (Cost=2 Card=3240)
    Initially (i mean before upgrade to 9.x) we had only one index that is PK_XXXX... but after we upgraded to 9.x and started to use CBO, the same query above was going for FTS on WKLY_ADV_DELTA_AGGR_FIS ( it has around 50 million recs!! ) even after analyzing all the tables in the query ( also even after taking histograms with size 100 for all columns ). We had to build that extra index BIT_XXXX ( bit map index on low card cols )

So some times CBO suks, though most of the times its the best.

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

When you upgraded, did you run "DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SYSTEM_STATS()" at all?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Does anybody know that the developers at Oracle Corpn removed all the RULE HINTS from their internal SQL statements?

Tamil

When you upgraded, did you run "DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SYSTEM_STATS()" at all?
    our PRODUCTION DBA's have upgraded to 9.x and i belive they have gathered system stats.

Does anybody know that the developers at Oracle Corpn removed all the RULE HINTS from their internal SQL statements?

Tamil
    Well but i have seen many posts in metalink, that oracle support peps always & strongly suggest/caution not to gather stats on any SYS/SYSTEM objects/tables...and you can see all the objects in SYS/SYSTEM tables/objects will not have any stats, so eventually they will choose RULE, then why is RULE hint needed?

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Hi.

Gathering system stats is nothing to do with stats on the SYS schema. It gathers stats about the system (CPU, disk, memory utilization) etc. It can help when the load on the system changes during the day. If you gather system stats the CBO uses them to make more accurate predictions about costs, rather than using rules of thumb for system utilization.

As for specific problems, although I hate them it may sometimes be necessary to give the CBO a hand by using an INDEX hint. If you do, make a note of it and try to remove it in future if possible.

Cheers

Tim...
    Last edited by TimHall; 08-28-2003 at 08:38 AM.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I've had to use the /*+ ordered use_hash() */ hint lately in a system I'm working one... otherwise the CBO chooses a Cartesian Join and never returns a result
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

yeah we had had that in our software as well - its a pain as we have to use the RBO in some places and CBO just gets it wrong every time

Originally posted by TimHall
    Hi.

Gathering system stats is nothing to do with stats on the SYS schema.

Tim...
    Did I tell gathering system stats gathers stats of SYS/SYSTEM objects' ?

my post was reply for 2 diff posts ( dave and tamil )

Well in my above posted query, even with hint (Index) also, CBO was choosing FTS over Index Range Scan. To mention the query returns only around 15 to 20 rows out of that hell 5 Million recs, we had no go but to create an extra Index (we choose to have BIT Map as most of the cols were very low card cols).

Abhay.
    Last edited by abhaysk; 08-28-2003 at 11:32 AM.
    funky...