DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 8.0 server configuration after hardisk upgradation

Smile Oracle 8.0 server configuration after hardisk upgradation

Hi everyone,
    Good day to you all.
    I'am having a HP LC Netserver3 server (Configuration of Hard disk is 9.1 GB *2 No.s which is too less for my oracle 8.0 server)
    The second hard disk is used for mirroring the 1st hard disk. There is a slot for the
    3rd harddisk (currently empty) for upgradation.
    My oracle server as well as data is on the first harddisk.
    Suppose if I put a SCSI Harddisk of 18.2 GB in the 3rd slot, is it possible for me to transfer only the data files and the tmp1ordb file in disk3 (18.2 GB), leaving the Oracle 8.0 server as it is on disk1. If it is possible to do so, will it harm the performance of Oracle server?
    Or is there a better solution after I upgrade my server with an additional 18.2 GB SCSI Harddisk

Regards,
    sfdba

If I understand it corectly, you will have 2*9GB, which are mirrored, and 1*18GB, so there will be 2 drives in the OS.
    I suggest binaries + DATA tablespace + control file + redologs on the mirrored drive, and everything else on the second drive, that way you will have space for backups also.

Smile

Thanks Stancho,
    Fine, but is it necessary that I should load the Oracle server software on the second harddisk?
    ....because if i have to load the oracle server software then it will mean reconfiguration of the server, Right?
    Regards,
    Sfdba

no you can leave the oracle binaries where they are - just move the datafiles to the new disk

Thumbs up

Thanx....one more thing, my server is PII, 450MHz,384MB RAM running Windows NT and Oracle 8.0 server having 15 oracle clients, if I upgrade the server to dual PII 450 Mhz processor will it help the performance of my oracle server?
    Regards
    Sfdba

not necessarily, look into parallel query

Adding more hardware != better performance