DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is A MVIEW?

What is A MVIEW?

Can somebody please explain me what a Materialized View is? I ve never heard of it. thanks
    add me to your messenger

perrohijueputa@hotmail.com

The answer to this question, and many of the other questions you have posted, can be found at http://tahiti.oracle.com. Pick a version, do a search. Really, it's pretty easy to do.

Great, so now we're relying on U of Mich for documentation? Why stop there when there are hundreds of other places that have posted Oracle docs on their websites? It would have been more useful to tell djhex to install the documentation locally or go buy a friggin' book and look it up for himself. Which, by the way djhex, why don't you go buy a friggin' book and look this up for yourself?
    Last edited by marist89; 08-22-2003 at 01:16 PM.

A Materialized View is like a snapshot of your data derived from other table(s). Its just like a table whose data comes from other tables/views.

Generally materialized views are used in data warehousing environment where they can be of great help for performance gains. You have to explicitly refresh the data in MV regularly based on your requirements.

read http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ.../a76994/mv.htm
    -- Dilip

MViews can also be used in Replication environment as like Snapshots in a distributed environment .