DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where/how do you store all your passwords securely?

Where/how do you store all your passwords securely?

I'm sure there's plenty of you out there who maintain multiple databases and various user accounts (incl. SYS, SYSTEM etc) within each DB.

I'd like to canvas opinions/preferences about how you go about noting down and securely storing these passwords: in a notebook? some software? post-it notes around your workstation ...

What do you find works best?

I have a notebook with passwords in. When they change I cross the old ones out and write in the new ones. It looks a bit of a mess actually. When I change any password I photocopy the pages from the book, put them in a sealed envelope and put them in the safe.

Sounds ok to me as long as no scallywags have access to your safe!

You could use an MS Excel sheet, it might be more organised and you can password protect and encrypt it, then store it in a safe place (restricted network drive for example) if there is such a place.

But are you sure you trust yourself???......

LOL

Brgds,

Andy

Why dont you just store in a table of schema X and only you have access?
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to write down these passwords in the first place??

Originally posted by thomasp
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to write down these passwords in the first place??
    Lemme guess, ...hmm how abt being a DB admin for abt 50 DBs...and each DB having around 20 schema's..

But still wondering, if noting pswd is required
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

how about having one own username with one password on all 50 DB's ?
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

How about having a Mgr that access the databases once in a blue moon and can't remember the passwords? We use an Excel Spreadsheet...
    that I print out for the boss whenever anything changes

It's not too secure, but it works for us.

How about this: Create a database using SQL Server, and store the passwords in that database. That way, none of the Oracle users would ever think to look anywhere else.

Originally posted by stecal
    That way, none of the Oracle users would ever think to look anywhere else.
    LOL. Specially, they would be too lazy to go into MS SQL (Messy-sequel).

For unix users: vi the file with -x option, and supply a key. You can see the file only if you know the key.

HTH
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Re: Where/how do you store all your passwords securely?

Originally posted by JMac
    When I change any password I photocopy the pages from the book, put them in a sealed envelope and put them in the safe.
    Since you should allow for your own unexpected demise (under a bus is the usual scenario) this is probably the best answer. I would suggest the CEO/CIO's safe as a deterent against non-urgent access.