DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The best file system for Oracle on Linux?

Hybrid View

The best file system for Oracle on Linux?

I was looking in google for information on file system comparison on Linux, and the best reading that I found is http://bulmalug.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1154. However they compare them with file coping and creation and kernel compilation, which is not very related to how Oracle DB works. So my question is what is your experience? In your opinion, which is the best file system and why? Is there a difference between Ext3, XFS, JFS, ReiserFS? Is there meaning to use non-journal file system like Ext2?

Thanks in advance for all opinions

It depends on your shop and how critical the system to the shop.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi

compared to ext3 i found reiserfs is faster for me..However my environment is mostly OPLTP and batch type..it is the way to go for me.You need to experiment with the filesystem types .ext3 is supported by redhat 7.3.The 2.4 kernels have reiserfs built into them.
    If you plan to use RAC then ocfs is the way to go..I have been hearin about reaierfs 4.0.If you can wait for a few months then resierfs 4.0 is the way to go..it would have better integration with 2.6 kernel and better async I/o capabilites..

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by hrishy
    Hi

compared to ext3 i found reiserfs is faster for me..However my environment is mostly OPLTP and batch type..it is the way to go for me.You need to experiment with the filesystem types .ext3 is supported by redhat 7.3.The 2.4 kernels have reiserfs built into them.
    If you plan to use RAC then ocfs is the way to go..I have been hearin about reaierfs 4.0.If you can wait for a few months then resierfs 4.0 is the way to go..it would have better integration with 2.6 kernel and better async I/o capabilites..

regards
    Hrishy
    I recenetly heard that resierfs is very good but you should try to avoid big files. It is very good and fast if all your files are small. So make a lot of files but small ones.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com