DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ODBC

Unhappy

I have never used ODBC to connect to a database. Can any one show a good source or documentation from which I can learn that.

Wink Hey Mr. "theDBA"

Hey, you are "theDBA" - you should have all answers: I'm just messing with you.

ODBC - I tried to find some source, but I was unsuccessful; but if you have any questions, please ask - I will try to help you.

Here is the basics:
    (on NT)

START > Settings > Control Panel > ODBC Data Source Adminstrator > (use the System DSN) tab > Add > (Select the correct driver) > (enter the ODBC name) > (enter the entry from the TNSNAMES.ora file here - Connect String)

Now you can connect from (for ex.) MS Access, go to:

File > Get External Data > Link Tables > then when the window opens us - select the "ODBC databases" as the file type > at the next window select the ODBC you setup from the Machine Data Source > you will be prompted for the userid/password.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by khussain on 11-03-2000 at 04:50 PM]

Oh you are funny, but thanks for that. I appreciate it

Are there any reasons why some people choose to connect through ODBC? I am asking because I don't know the reason why. All the client site that I have worked at don't connect through ODBC. Can you tell or explain to me the reason why some people choose ODBC? What's the significance

Wink

I guess it depends on the application connecting. I am not a developer, but I think it is easier, since the developers do not have to write any code to connect to oracle - the functionality is already provided by Microsoft/ Oracle and other vendors.

If you have metalink, check out this writeup:
    [url]http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_gui.startup[/url]