DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: installing Oracle 9iR2 via PCAnywhere 11

installing Oracle 9iR2 via PCAnywhere 11

I thought PCAnywhere is not just emulation but actual remote control. As far as applications are concerned, it's as if it's from local.

However, Oracle doc 137200.1 says "Installing remotely is not supported..." in its Q&A section when being asked whether Oracle is installed remotely via VNC or PCAnywhere.

I attempted to create a DB using DBCA via PCAnywhere but it got stuck/hung. I did the same thing before for 8i but it was fine.

The server is thousands of miles away and I have no choice but use PCAnywhere.

Has anybody tried to install via PCAnywhere successfully for Oracle 9iR2?

Thanks,

well why you dont run the scripts from ms-dos window?

Don't suggest that Pando!

You're preventing him from getting an expenses paid trip somewhere exotic! Out the office and living it up in a hotel on expenses for a week!

. . . of course if a128 is in Hawaii and the server is in Milton Keynes . . .

Several opinions in this forum - mostly suggesting as pando did: use the GUI to prepare the script but execute it in a "DOS box" bit by bit.

Can you test it on a similar local server?

I've had probs with pcAnywhere and "big" jobs (SQL*loader in my case, not 9i). I'd suggest disconnecting pcAnywhere while the create job is running and go back to check briefly (say) every half hour.

PCDUO wud do
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"