DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Listener problem with 2 Oracle home on the same machine

Listener problem with 2 Oracle home on the same machine

I have Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 and 9.2.0.3 running windows 2000. The primary Home was default to 8.1.7.4.1. I have about 5 instances running on 8.1.7.4.1 and there is no instances on 9i yet. Any way, Everything work fine till I reboot the server, the client can't connect and got error ORA-12505. I read in metalink about this error and basically it said "The instance you are trying to connect to is not listed in the sid list of the listener" I have added all of the SERVICE_NAME into the listener.ora on 8.1.7.4.1 .

on LSNRCTL, type 'STAT' and all of the SID are there, but it still not working until I restart the tnslistener services and it works. Any way, what I did was copy the listener.ora on 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.3 and that fixed the problem.

Even the problem is fixed, but the question here is that I thought it had the seperate home and primary home is 8.1.7 so I thought Oracle will default the listener to 8.1.7. In this case, I guess not and it listen to the 9i.

anyone has any explainations for me ????

thanks

The 9i listener probably started first. The 8i instances then automatically registered with the 9i listener. Why they needed to be in the SID_LIST, I don't know.
    Jeff Hunter